New Rider from Brooklyn NY - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

New Rider from Brooklyn NY

Hello to all! Name's Seth, 36, live in Brooklyn NY. I've only been riding for the past 3 months or so, but I'm logging as many miles as I can to catch up!

I was always a long-time admirer of motorcycles, all the way back to high school - talked about them, went to shows, all that stuff - but for some reason I never thought it was something that I could actually do. My wife and I would talk about it the way people talk about having a huge house or a private boat. "Wouldn't it be great it..." kind of thing. Well, I talked about it like that. Everyone else in our families were more of the "Ok, whatever you say...", followed by the too-familiar eye roll. But I guess I talked about it enough (even though I never allowed myself to think I would ever have one) that my sister in law actually bought me a couple "how to ride" type of books back in December. I read those books cover to cover, and that was that - something finally clicked in my brain, and I realized that allowing myself to think I couldn't or shouldn't was about the stupidest thing in the world. So I talked to the wife, and with her supportive but reluctant blessing, got my ML back in march. I got my first bike (used of course) about two weeks after.

So I'm now the proud owner of a 2006 VStar 650 Custom, and loving every moment of it. I can't tell you how much I think about riding now that I actually can - it's kind of a distraction. Of course, I don't need to tell you guys about that. What I need to do is figure out how to explain it to my friends who all think I'm just having some kind of early mid-life-crisis. I know I'm late to the game, but as I told all my friends - its only a MLC if you think you're half way done with your life. And at the risk of damning myself, I know I've got years and years left in me. I've done everything right, I think, or at least as right as I can do it: I bought the best gear I could afford, I always wear it, I have ZERO aggression on the road, and I always assume that everyone else is trying to kill me. (Yay paranoia!) I know that to make up for all those years I could have been riding and wasn't, I need to be extra smart about it now to keep me riding for as long as possible.

Anyway, that's the rant - sorry for the ramble! Looking forward to picking all your brains as much as I can down the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Welcome from Washington State.

There's people here that say lots of good things about rider safety courses and there's those of us that are planning to get off our...i mean thier arses and take the course. There is no substitute for experience. Ride safe, stay alert.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Hey Hayadoin Seth! Welcome to the fold. For all intensive purposes we've got a good group of knowledgeable riders here that are more than willing to chime in when needed, just ask. Enjoy your new ride.

“Sursum Ab Ordine”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Welcome aboard, Entropic.

It's fun to hear your enthusiasm.....I can relate 100%. I was always a little bit intimidated by street cruisers and bigger bikes when I was younger....thought it was something a different kind of guy would do.

Then one day a few years ago, I was in a Yamaha dealer and chanced to sit on a V Star 650. I immediately realized: I could ride this!

I would describe that moment as life-changing.

You picked the perfect bike to start on, and have the perfect attitude. Just keep doing what you're doing and realize you can do everything perfectly and still get nailed....so ever vigilant!

Have fun!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Hello and welcome to the 4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
...For all intensive purposes....

I think you mean "For all intents and purposes"

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Hello and welcome to the 4M

I think you mean "For all intents and purposes"

Dunno...could work either way if the training wheels come off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropicSG View Post
I know I'm late to the game, but as I told all my friends - its only a MLC if you think you're half way done with your life.
Late to the game? Mid-life crisis? Age 36?

Good grief man, most of the people on this forum hadn't even been granted their first parole by age 36, and the Texans here weren't even out of grade school by then!

You're in great shape as long as you don't fall into the wrong crowd on this forum...

Oh, and welcome...

Last edited by Springer; 07-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
You're in great shape as long as you don't fall into the wrong crowd on this forum...
is there any other crowd on here?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome Seth you found the right place to hang out. The bike you bought is a great bike for either a starter bike or one you can ride and customize to make it your own. Always ride stealth,don't be affraid to ask ?s and keep the shiny side up. Just remmber that the gray bikes are the fastest.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 AM

Welcome Seth !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode