First bike, break-in questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

First bike, break-in questions

Just bought my first bike. Have been riding a scooter for 3 years (still love it, just want something for longer trips). The bike is an '09 V-Star 1100 that sat in the dealer until now. Had some old gas in it. Rode half through and siphoned the rest and have put 2 tanks of 93 octane through (350 miles on it). The bike is behaving much better now, but still does not have much left by the time I hit 60 MPH. Normal for break-in before the first service (valves, oil, carb) or should I be looking into something? Have thought about running some Sta-bil or Seafoam through.

Also, tried to post to the V-Star forum, but get told that I don't have access. Didn't see anything that said I would not be able to post to them (Motorcycle Models) - did I miss something?

Anyway, loving the bike... just want to make sure that the break-in is going well and to be pro-active if it is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

Do you mean there's no more ability to accelerate above 60MPH? Then again you are probably not pushing the RPM's to the red line yet. Once you are able to use the full sweep of the tach, an 1100 should be able to rocket you well above 90mph. I think I read someplace that the rev limiter will keep you from exceeding 110MPH

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn355 View Post

Anyway, loving the bike... just want to make sure that the break-in is going well and to be pro-active if it is not.
"Sat at the dealer"? So are you the first owner or was the bike a trade-in?

Running some Seafoam through it is an excellent idea both as a prescription for your current problems and as a maintenance drug

If the bike is new, I find it difficult to accept that it cannot giddyup beyond 60mph; should be able to do that in 2nd. Is it backfiring? Smoking? Running rough? Does it cut out at 60? Curious minds need to know

In any case, if it's new, I'd take it back to the dealer as fast as it will go (60?) and tell him you have a problem that needs looking into. The sooner the better!

And you'll be able to post in other sections of the forum in due course; takes a bit for the anti-spam locking system to relax

And welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome aboard. That bike should run like a raped ape.Need more info please fill us in.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

you should now be able to post in the other forums
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Welcome! Have you discussed the issue with the dealership you bought your bike from? They should have checked the bike out before the sale. Hope you get it sorted and really begin enjoying your new bike.

“Sursum Ab Ordine”
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

I am the first owner. I think that it just sat in the dealer for a good while (2 years?) with fuel in the tank. It does not smoke or backfire. I think I was falling victim to a few things.
  • I was not really 'giving her the beans' because I didn't want to over do it during break-in.
  • I had grossly over estimated the RPM's that I was running.
  • Being nervous about over doing it on a new engine and knowing that it had old gas sitting in it, I may have been 'looking for a problem' so to speak
I was getting into 5th and finding little 'umph' at 60MPH. Today I found a chart showing RPM at speed in the gears. That gave me the confidence to run it up to 60 in 3rd and 70 in 4th. Still think that it has some fuel system cleaning that could be done so I got some Seafoam and added it to the tank (1oz per gal.).

I think that a little Seafoam and the tune up at 600 miles should sort everything out in the next few weeks. The dealer admitted that the gas was old/bad and offered to look into it if I thought there was more to it. I'll give them a chance to do so at the 600 mile checkup.

Thanks for the info folks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

After a few 'better day, worse day' episodes, I was still not convinced that everything was quite right. When I took it in for the 600 mile service, they checked it for me and agreed that something was not right.

They pulled the carbs and gave them a good overnight soak (at no cost). Turns out there was some debris in one of the jets. Varnish I'm assuming. Anyway, the bike runs *much* better now. Better than I was expecting actually.

I'll keep up with the Seafoam though. Probably every few tank full's I'll run one with Seafoam through.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Fellow 1100 rider here. Glad everything worked out for you. A good shop/mechanic would know better than to let a bike sit for that long without fresh fuel. Maybe it fell through the cracks and got forgotten

After you post a few responses here you should be able to post elsewere. I think the minimum required amount is about.....5...?...6...?...7....?...

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified

Last edited by SparkyD; 08-27-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode