Hello from the shadows of the Arch... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Hello from the shadows of the Arch...

Hello everyone...

My name is Travis and I live in the St. Louis, MO area (actually on the Illinois side of the river) with my lovely wife and three kids...

I'm certainly not a lifetime motorcycle person....My mother has a SERIOUS fear of bikes and as such my brothers and I were never allowed near them as kids and my dad never had one...

About a year and a half ago I started thinking about possibly getting a bike and would share that with a good friend and co-worker who had ridden for years and loved it...He was a Harley guy and just beamed every time he spoke about riding and how much fun it was...Initially I kind of just passed it off as a crazy idea and nothing more but in April of last year my friend was killed in a crazy camping accident where he and his 24 year old son were overcome by Carbon Monoxide in their camper...He didn't make it but thankfully his son did and was able to recover from his injuries...

It was after that I decided that life was to short and I was going to go for it....So I showed up and stood in the walk-in line for our Basic Riders Course program and about keeled over myself over the weekend out on the colleges paved parking lot where the course was held but I made it through, had a blast and was convinced that I wanted to ride a motorcycle of my own...

So one week later my wife and I went to a local dealer and after some deliberation and husband/wife discussion we were the proud owners of a brand new 2009 VStar 1300..

It's been an awesome year since then...I've put nearly 5K miles on my 1300 and my wife even decided to join me and took the riders course and has her own 2010 950T and is developing into a very good rider in her own right...

It's been a great year....I enjoy so much being on the bike...It clears the mind better than anything I've done....just you, the bike and the road...Beyond that though the people I've met since I started actively riding have been great...

So that's my motorcycle story in a big nutshell

If anyone is in my neck of the woods and would like to get together for a ride just give me a shout....

Glad to be here!!!

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

Welcome to the 4M.

That's a great intro and an even better "my first ride" story.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

Troy? Your wife's name isn't Helen by any chance?

Keep us informed on your various odysseys?

Welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Strato...thanks for the welcome...wish the story had a better and happier ending but I know my buddy is up there somewhere smiling down when he sees me riding my bike!!!

Springer....nope not Helen but I do really like the movie Troy ;-) No plans to conquer any greek god worshiping nations right now but some buds and I may do a breakfast ride on Saturday :-)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome aboard.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

great story. have one of my own similar to that, about not waiting too long because life is short. really regret having waited so long before i got a bike
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 AM

Welcome! Wishing you and your lovely wife many miles of smiles on those wonderful riding machines.

“Sursum Ab Ordine”
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the very warm welcome!!

Bevo....glad we're both a part of the STAR family of bikes because as a farm kid that grew up in central Nebraska and bleeds Scarlet and Cream I don't think we'll agree much on college football ;-) j/k I like Mack B. he's a pretty cool cat...and you're right I wish I would have gotten started earlier but the big guy has a plan for all of us and I guess this was my wife and I's time and I'm thankful that we have the ability to enjoy this great lifestyle...

Gaijin...thank you very much!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Welcome from where i'm at

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Welcome to the fun house BigC! This is a great site we have here and as you can tell already, we like to have a few laughs.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode