Heyla From Herndon, VA - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Red face Heyla From Herndon, VA

Heyla!

My name is Colleen & I just got my first bike about two weeks ago, a Yamaha VStar 650 Classic. Shes a lil older and needs some TLC but shes a tough cookie My forward controls are arriving this week so she'll be a lot more comfortable to ride ( I am 6'1 w/ 36inch inseam!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

I'd also like to ask a quesiton (went to go post in vstar forum but I guess my account isnt fully activated yet). My brakes are suishy and I am not sure what are some possible solution. My neighbor bled the brakes, I took the top off the resivoir and tied down the brake and left it for a day yet so far no real improvement. It seemed a little better after I left it tied for a day, but only slightly and after I rode to the store the improvement vanished. Any ideas without having to replace the front master cylinder? I have a '99 vstar 650 classic so I'd hate to spend good money if I don't have to.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireyshamrock View Post
It seemed a little better after I left it tied for a day,
Did you leave it tied out in the hot sun without food or water?

Welcome, Irish!

You need to give us a little more information, not the least of which:

1. Does your "neighbor" know what he/she is doing when it comes to bleeding brakes?

2. Is it just the front brakes that are "suishy" or do the rear brakes smell like fish as well? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

3. Are your brake fluids at normal level? Any bubbles in the sight glass?

4. Is there any evidence of leakage anywhere in your system? Drips, puddles, etc?

The symptoms you describe sound like there's still air in the system that either has yet to work its way out, or more air is being induced when you apply the brakes.

In a little bit you'll be able to post in all sections of the forum, and we have several mechanical pro's with actual experience with your model (I confess, I have never owned a 650)) and they will come rushing to your aid.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Hiya! Thanks for responding so fast : )

My neighbor is a tech but is a Harley guy so the V-star is not his forte.
LOL! yea, not gonna lie if it smelled fishy, I wouldn't of touched it - gotta do the sniff test!
No bubbles, when I left the brake pulled in overnight the Reservoir didn't go down at all.
No leaks at all.

The guy at Coleman Powersports told me the same thing when I called up asking about new front master cylinder. Just frustrating I cant figure out how to fiz it
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just frustrating I cant figure out how to fiz it
...throw in a little Alka-Seltzer...

I confess I've never heard of tying the brake lever down for an extended period of time as a "bleed air" method. Most techniques involved cracking the bleed fitting and pumping the brakes multiple times until the fluid comes out smoothly sans bubbles. Even (especially) an HD tech should know how to bleed brakes as hydraulic systems aren't terribly different in design/function from each other.

My thoughts would be to repeat the bleed process a couple more times before I jumped all over a master cylinder investment. Gut feeling is that there's still air in the system.

Was the bike in active use before you purchased it, or was it a "find" somewhere?

PS-

Try sending an appeal via PM or other section of the Forum to LinerDave or Fulltilt or DieselDave. Very knowledgeable folks and very helpful (unlike most of us)

Last edited by Springer; 08-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 PM

New here also but welcome... I would try bleeding them a couple of times also...I mean what does it cost just a little brake fluid...Also hope the forward controls work well for you...

2009 V Star 650 Classic...Willie and Max Revolution saddlebags...Saddlemen Explorer Seat...Cobra Round Bar Standard Backrest...Life is Good....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Heyla!
Hey, hello-a.

If you're going to bleed the brakes again, which I agree is the best idea, try doing it differently than the normal old way. Instead of draining the system, then adding to an empty master cylinder (which is what lets the air in to begin with), connect your bleed hose and make sure the waste end is submerged in a little bit of brake fluid in your waste container. Open the master cylinder and the bleed screw, and squeeze the brake lever until the fluid goes down some, but not enough to empty the master cylinder. Top the master cylinder off and repeat until new brake fluid makes its way out the bleed screw.

This way, you're not letting new bubbles into the line, and you should have a nice firm feel to the brakes. I changed the fluid this way in the '02 650 that my girlfriend bought this spring, and it made a night-and-day difference. I'm willing to bet this is the source of your soft brakes.

Good luck!

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 PM

Welcome from Arlington VA Colleen! I also just bought my first bike, also a 1999 V Star 650 classic. Hope we get to ride together someday!

Patti
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Top o' the mornin' to ya

+1 to what they all said. I use ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid Dot 4 on my bike. Great stuff.

Welcome to the forum! Come in and set a spell.

“Sursum Ab Ordine”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode