New Strat Owner in Maryland - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

New Strat Owner in Maryland

Hey Fellow Strat riders. I just got a (NIB) New in box lol ! 07 Stratoliner for a good price. Full warranty. And all I can say is WOW !.
What a ride.
Now just a few comments and questions.

I rode it hard the first few days, and had the typical fun, of figuring out all the power. Oh and I believe in a hard working breakin, or breakin like you ride it but that's another topic.

I have realized how fast the gas gauge goes towards empty, I had around 32mpg the first weekend with all the power exploration lol.
Now I'm relaxing and the bike is settling down for me, I'm riding it to work, gas for today was at about 39 mpg. Is this the typical mileage I can expect.
I'm hoping for some improvement after the breakin is completed.
And if so, I'm figuring on around 140-160 miles before hitting the lowgas alarm ! Am I in the ballpark with my figures so far. Oh and I'm a big guy
6'6" and 290. Will be solo most of the time, GF is about 110lbs but only a part time passenger.

Anyway, just some basic figures would help me get my brain engaged with this big twins MPG.

Oh and I'm a returning Big Yamaha owner, still have an old 84 XVZ12 Venture. I'm selling it for parts or rebuilding.

Duane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 AM

Welcome to the fun house Duane! This is a sweet place we have here with a ton of great information and awesome people. Can't help with the MPG questions, I have an 1100. Congrats on the new bike and keep the rubber side down...oh, and I'm just outside B'more, where in Maryland are you?

-Chas

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Hey Jarhead, thanks for the welcome.

I'm in Eldersburg, just south of Westminster. Right between HW97 and Rt 32.
I'll figure out the MPG the hardway lol. I know everyone rides a bit different, I'm a 99% high power rider or at least I used to be.
This Strat gives me a whole new understanding of Raw power.
So I'm learning to go a bit easier on the go control. My last machine, as mentioned was a 84 Venture. And it was like a big nice sounding giant electric motor, that would go so fast, that people would wonder where I went after first spotting me getting on the road. LOL.

Oh And I'm a retired Navy man myself, should I assume your a former Marine ?.....
I grew up in a Marine family in Oceanside CA. My dad retired in 72.
I retired in 96.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcody40 View Post
Oh And I'm a retired Navy man myself, should I assume your a former Marine ?.....
I grew up in a Marine family in Oceanside CA. My dad retired in 72.
I retired in 96.
Yes Sir, I got out of the Corps in 97 to join the civilian world. You will find that you're going to fit in just find around here, we have quite a few folks on here that are former Navy.

I'm located up in Harford county, right off I-95 in Edgewood.

Semper Fi,

Chas

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Welcome Duane. The Marine said it all. Enjoy this gathering of ours. A couple of the big bikes should be showing up any time now. I think one out somewhere in Sturgis and the rest probably have yet to heave out and trice up.

“Sursum Ab Ordine”
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcody40 View Post
I'm riding it to work, gas for today was at about 39 mpg. Is this the typical mileage I can expect.
Hiya Sailor...

My Strat gives me a reliable 42mpg under normal riding conditions, up to 50mpg if I'm strolling along smelling the flowers, down to 32mpg if I'm romping 75-80.

...and that's on E-10. Getting hard to find 90 octane around the cornfields.

Please don't associate with the Grunts; we try and keep a civil forum here.....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Welcome from where ever i might be.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for a nice bunch of greatings.

And also thanks for the many details provided, I was wondering about the 91 octane requirements, but already noticed a bunch of riders using everything burnable lol.
And I haven't heard a Hiya sailor in many years lol...

As far as associating with the other services, we all wore pretty much the same cami's. I never did any shipboard duty my whole 20 years. But I can't tell you what I did do lol !. not joking.

Anywho. Thanks again. And I'm already waiting on my fairing and all the other goodies, to get this monster dressed properly lol ! I'm a dresser guy so kind of spoiled having someplace for my helmets and cowboy hats lol...

Duane.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Hiya Sailor...

My Strat gives me a reliable 42mpg under normal riding conditions, up to 50mpg if I'm strolling along smelling the flowers, down to 32mpg if I'm romping 75-80.

...and that's on E-10. Getting hard to find 90 octane around the cornfields.

Please don't associate with the Grunts; we try and keep a civil forum here.....
Now Springer, I didn't pull out the squid jokes yet. I thought I would ease Duane into the fold.

Being one of the few Devil Dogs on this forum in a sea of squid it does make it a challenge though.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Wow you were going easy on me lol !

Joking, it's all in fun, now that were retired, and not shipping out to go somewhere bad in the world, everything else is gravy. I miss the fun from all my former military teammates. (All services) It's what still ties us together out here in the Sheeples world lol.
Now I'll have to explain that one lol !

Duane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode