All or nothing for a first bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

All or nothing for a first bike

Finally pulled the trigger on getting a bike and it was the VStar 1300.

Many of my friends say I'm nuts for buying such a full size bike for a first ride, but my line of thought is go big or stay home. Other than dirt bikes as a kid, this is it. I am learning the magic of leans and picked up "Learning to ride Like a Pro"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Dont listen to them. They are likely jelly. My first street bike was a 1700cc 2003 Star warrior. I am glad I went with nothing less. Two months on it, and I purchased a brand new 2012 Raider and havnt looked back.

EDIT: A good rider guide book is great, but there is no substitution for seat time. As you said, GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Last edited by xmanrigger; 07-06-2014 at 04:24 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 06:54 PM

The 1300 is easy to drive ...With that said do be careful especially of others on the road. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum eh. The 1300 is a really sweet ride and will put a perma smile on your face quickly. If I were you, I would find a rider course and take it. The stuff that they'll teach you will shorten your learning curve, you wouldn't develop bad habits and you'll enjoy your seat time even more.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM

Enjoy your new ride and besafe. tell your buds that a 1300 is not that big in displacement compared to 1900CC or Boss Hoss bikes lmao
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 PM

Garage
Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice bike and even nicer you included a pic with your intro. Corsair is right, the 1300 is a sweet ride. Ride safe and post often!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Welcome to the forum eh. The 1300 is a really sweet ride and will put a perma smile on your face quickly. If I were you, I would find a rider course and take it. The stuff that they'll teach you will shorten your learning curve, you wouldn't develop bad habits and you'll enjoy your seat time even more.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.
Thanks! As far as a course, the next available one in my area isn't until late Aug. So as an alternative I have a temp endorsement, allowing me to ride with other riders. The group I ride with has two people who are retired cycle cops that have been working with me. Once they say I'm good to go, then I'll schedule a skills test with the local transport authority then I'll receive my endorsement...until then every gear shift, pull of the brake, swerve and low speed maneuver is critiques by these guys
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekJeff View Post
Many of my friends say I'm nuts for buying such a full size bike for a first ride, but my line of thought is go big or stay home. Other than dirt bikes as a kid, this is it. I am learning the magic of leans and picked up "Learning to ride Like a Pro"
Congrats! I am in the exact same boat. Dirt bikes and an a couple hours on various other bikes over the years. And I am looking at the 1300 like you.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Finally pulled the trigger on getting a bike and it was the VStar 1300.

I am presuming you're open for criticism or you wouldn't have put it out here.

You're friends are right. They know you so, they're not saying "Jeff always goes big and it works out fine.' They're saying you're impulsive and rash and it doesn't always work out.

There is no good reason to just jump on a full sized bike right out of the chute. If there were, beginner classes would have gold wings instead of 250cc rebels on the premise that it is better to 'go big or stay home'.

You may do fine and I hope you do. But, riding can get you killed in an instant and it is not reasonable or rational to just jump in the deep end. Your 'life guards', the ex motor cops, can't jump in to save you.

You should park the big bike, go get a dirt bike and spend a year or so refreshing your long past dirt bike skills and take any course you can find using their little bikes. Some Harley dealers offer one using little Buells. Take the 1300 out on weekends and work on parking lot skills and easing cruising after a few months.

I don't know you so, this isn't personal. It's just my recommendations of what I would suggest anyone should do in order to learn to ride safely. 50% of all new riders have some sort of wreck in their first six months. Obviously, many of them are because they were in over their heads including too much bike too soon. Everyone has their first six months. The goal should be to stack the odds in your favor of getting through them successfully. You're not doing that.

However, that doesn't mean you WILL wreck. It just means, in my view, you damn well better take parking lot practice seriously
as well as listening to and working with your experienced friends.

My goal here is not to discourage you. You already took the leap. My goal here is to encourage you to work at and learn all you can about how a motorcycle works, and doesn't, take classes, listen, practice and learn.

I'd be happy to hear from you in six months that you're doing great.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I am learning the magic of leans and picked up "Learning to ride Like a Pro"
I love Jerry "Motorman" Palladino. Sometimes I'll listen to the video when I'm going to sleep, just to let it seep into my subconscious.

Can no longer say "turn your head." I only think of it as "headandeyes"

Turn your headneyes, friction zone, little bit of rear brake. Congrats on the purchase, keep learning and keep it safe.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode