V-Star 1100 newbie - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

V-Star 1100 newbie

Hello to everyone...
My name is Scott and I recently purchased a 2003 V-Star 1100 Custom. I have ridden bikes all my life or most of it anyway. I found this bike on Craigslist and went to look at it. It ran but rough, like carbs were way out. Made an offer about 1000 lass than they were asking and rode it home. The reg was over a year out which cost $460! So much for my deal. Anyway, the carbs had been tampered with, a lot and the person who worked on it last apparently was clueless. He broke off 2 tabs in each of the venturis that hold the little gray plug in place. Unable to find them at any dealer in stock and not wanting to wait a week to get them at $59 each, I found a post somewhere on how to fix it if only 1 tab was broken. I'm great at fabricating so I went to town with a little JB weld and the brass pipe mentioned in the article. It worked!

I'm having an issue with the idle so I will post it up in the appropriate area and hope some of you might be able to help me and guide me in the right direction.

I look forward to getting and giving great advice on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM

A big hello right back at you!

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:40 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome aboard. I'm sure someone here should be able to help you out. Sparkyd you gona chime in and help? His 1100 runs like a raped ape.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeater113 View Post
Welcome aboard. I'm sure someone here should be able to help you out. Sparkyd you gona chime in and help? His 1100 runs like a raped ape.
I'm always happy to try to help. Skline said he's going to post in another area...???

We forgot to let Skline know you got to post a few times before you can start a new thread.

If you don't have a carb-sync set-up here is what you can do to get by until you get some vaccuum gauges, you have to pull the carbs off. If they are very far out of sync then it's worth the trouble.

1)Remove the carbs, leave them bolted together.
2)Hold them up to the light as you try to see light past the butterfly (looking thru the carb without using your hand to open the butterfly). You should see light coming through the crack at the bottom of the butterfly.
3)Keeping the carbs horizontal, turn them 180 degrees so you can look thru the other carb for light thru the same place.
4)The 'crack' between the butterfly and the venturi should be the same on both carbs. Use the 'sync andjustment screw' to adjust until the crack in both carbs looks to be the same.
5)Once you've accomplished that, use the idle adjustment screw to set both cracks about 1/16" to 1/8". This should get you running. Once the carbs are back in the bike and running you can adjust your idle better.

This will get you riding until you get some vaccuum gauges to sync the carbs the rest of the way.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

slightly modified

Last edited by SparkyD; 09-10-2011 at 09:35 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Taking the bike out for a ride today with the little woman, it runs strong but still popping from both cylinders more than I like. No syncrometer yet but the idle issue is resolved. Thanks for the tip, it worked good.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 PM

Take off your left side cover (as your sitting on the bike) where your tool kit is. Make it look like this & see if that stops the exhaust backfiring/popping. If that stops the popping then.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS bypass.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1116  

slightly modified
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode