suspected charging problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

suspected charging problem

Hello,
I am new to this site & was needing some help. I have a 07 V Star 1100 custom. On a ride this past weekend I stopped to fill up & the bike would not start back. After pushing to start I rode about 25 miles to the next town & stopped again. The bike was not running right-missing,lights dim, speedo not working. The battery was dead. I put a new battery on & started right up. All seemd fine & rode aprox 70 miles back home with no problem. Once I got home turned bike off it would not start-dead battery. I have went through the checks for stator & rectifier which appear to be good. Both batteries have been load tested-good. I get 14.4 volts with bike running at battery. If i take ground wire off bike starts missing & voltage drops to about 7. I have a new rectifier on the way. Any help would be appreciated very much.

Last edited by DavidB07; 08-20-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

i may be having a similar issue with my battery that just started today. be sure to ask in the V Star section here.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 AM

You should never remove a battery cable with the bike running. The output from the bike's charging system is NOT clean power, and it depends on the battery to even it out. The electronics on the bike (ignition system, fuel injection, computers) will not like the power from the charging system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Charon. That helps me alot. I am doing some more testing but dont really know why the battery went dead other than the carb heaters. I will put it back together & ride. Thanks for the info.

David
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 PM

As you say it sounds like a a charging issue, but what I don't understand is the measurement of 14.4 V at the battery when the bike is running(idling?). That seem to suggest the bike would be charging the battery.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

That is what confused me also. All checks look to be normal. I tore it down today & cleaned all connections & put do-electric grease on all of them. Put it back together with fresh battery & carb fuse removed. So far so good. I have e new rectifier on the way but not sue if I need it. Also have the charging gauge coming. All seems to be good now. Still not sure what happened.

David
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:33 PM

Well good luck and let us know how it turns out. By the way post some pictures of that sweet ride of yours (even it won't start )

BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Will do tomorrow. Just got home. Thanks

David
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	35105rode to work today with no problems.

David
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I changed the rectifier out this week end--finally came in--all seems good. I did put the Kuryakyn led battery gauge on. I'm not sure the old rectifier was bad but it is running good now. I rode aprox. 100 miles sunday with no problems at all. At least with the gauge you have some warning.
Thanks to all who helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode