Looking to join the Road Star crew - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Looking to join the Road Star crew

I don't yet own a Star but am looking specifically at a 2006 Road Star. It's completely stock with less than 6k miles. Is there anything I should look out for? I'm aware of the SVS issue, does that plague 2006 model year? I'm going in to see the bike this evening. Any input you all can give would be greatly appreciated! If all goes well, tonight I'll be the newest Road Star Owner in Milwaukee!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM

Garage
Smile

Welcome to the forum from Northwest Illinois. Glad to have you on board and look forward to reading about you and your new Road Star. Everything I read about them is positive and I hope to own one one some day. Post often and ride safe.

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 PM

I'm going to pick up my second Roadstar in a week and they're amazing. Lots of people say the best choice is 2005 and up. Those have the 1700cc engine and upgraded electrical system. Mine have both been 1600s though, and I'm plenty happy with the amount of power available from the pre-2004 models.

They're super easy to maintain, just be aware that the user manual calls for too much oil. Don't take my word for it...check out roadstarclinic.com. If you put 4.3 quarts in there when you change the oil, you WILL have oil overflowing into your air filter and sneezing all over the rear cylinder exhaust pipe. It's got a reservoir. 2 quarts synthetic, start it for 30 seconds (with dip stick inserted tightly), 2 more quarts. Go ride 5,000 miles. Repeat.

A low mileage bike is awesome, but it's hard to know if it sat early in its life, or if it has been sitting recently. The only thing you can be sure of is that the bike has done a lot of sitting. A lot of times on these bikes, "new tires" are actually "old tires with a lot of tread."

Pay special attention to the tread for any signs of dry rot. I like to take a good look down in the bottoms of the valleys of the tread. If you see any cracking, be wary. It's better to eat the $400 and replace questionable tires, than to find yourself wishing you had when things go dicey in a corner.

Other than that, you're looking into a very reliable bike. The hydraulic valves are self-adjusting. The manual calls for 15,000 mile valve adjustments, but I just read a forum thread started by a guy with 170,000 miles on his Roadstar who never adjusted them yet.

Also, don't worry too much about SVS unless something specifically leads you there. I was all worried about my head bearings and forum members said something to the effect of "Don't go looking for problems. You'll know if something is wrong."

Great bike. Great choice. Have fun!

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 PM

What Pan said. And do not forget the Roadstarclinic.com by far the most info on a bike you will ever find.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. 6,000 miles on a 8 year old bike means it's probably spent a lot of time sitting and needs a lot of inspecting and new fluids, hoses, etc. make sure you have a trained eye look it over before making a decision.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies. I took it for a test ride and, WOW. This thing is amazing. I've been out of the riding scene for a few years, but this is night and day difference from my 94 Vulcan 1500. It's damn near showroom condition. The only cosmetic imperfections I've found are the typical rust coated bolts on the frame. No scratches or rock chips anywhere. Mechanically, it starts, idles, and runs as well as I had hoped. I'm not sure what they're like new, but I can't find anything mechanically that suggests it's worn or aged. I pulled the trigger and picked this thing up. $4500, with a 1 year Yamaha extended warranty. I haven't put any real miles on her yet, just to work and back. I can't wait for this weekend! Now, to find a sitter so the wife can come too. There are some awesome roads up here in Wisconsin!

Also, I noticed the registration is not working for roadstarclinic. What's the deal?

Last edited by jdbell; 08-27-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM

Congratulations. Post some pics!

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Last edited by jdbell; 08-27-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 AM

Looks great. I've never seen highway pegs like that.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Just took her out for a 100 miler with the wife. I LOVE this machine!

Last edited by jdbell; 08-31-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode