Help on a vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Help on a vstar 1100

ok guys two problems have come up since having the scoot down for a week of new tires. The first thing is i now have a slow oil leak coming from the senson on the bottom of the bike. Does it have a gasket that i can replace or do i have to replace the whole sensor? Next problem is i went ahead and replaced the brakes while i had the wheels off. no big deal but when i get on the front brakes hard it stops good but it will make a grinding sound after i start to stop again after the hard stop. any help will be great thanks.......its a 2002 vstar 1100 classic 18886 miles cobra pipes dynajet stage 1 k&n air filter.... i just git the bike from the last owner and it sat outside for two years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM

Oil sensor?

blslkn1,

I see no one answered so I will give it a try. Maybe you can describe the sensor a little better. It might trigger someone's memory.

Maybe you are talking about the oil sensor? Bottom left I believe. I believe it has an O ring but I don't see it in the parts book. You might find one if you had it out.

I wonder if you might have put in too much oil? That seems to be the most common cause of an oil leak. The bike holds 3.3 quarts if you change the filter and oil.

I never had any brake noise form my 1100 V Star. I can only hope the noise will go away once the pads seat in. Did you use Yamaha's pads? If not what kind?

Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Lineradave. Yes its the oil level sensor on the right bottom of the bike brake side. I don't want to pull it unless I know of a seal or gasket sense all oil will go with it and I only have about 1000 miles on the oil. The brakes are braking and I think that once they wear in will be fine. Took it to work today which is a 100 mile ride with no problems so hopefully they will set in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 PM

If i may offer some food for thought....did you check all your electrical connections concerning the oil sensor?

I haven't tried this on my bike yet, but on my truck i tried the new ceramic brake pads and they had a sound that i can only describe as a combination grind/squeak until they broke in. I've heard of other brands/materials used in new pads sometimes sound like they grind like metal-to-metal. That said, i would still put the bike back on the workbench and double check my work (if it were me ) I know manufacturers are starting to use different material in an attempt to get away from asbestos.

Let us know what you find

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Yah I put it up on the lift to check the front. Everything is like it should be. Wheel rolls freely and all parts look good. I think it just needs to get set in. It sounds like metal on metal. Oil leak appears to be coming from the sensor. I havdnt pulled it because I don't want to waste my oil change I just did.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode