Hello from a brand new Roadliner owner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Hello from a brand new Roadliner owner

I just bought this bike:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2570882639.html

I pick it up on Tuesday.

Very excited, a little nervous.

I'll have to ride it home, and while I've got my class M1 and everything, it's been a long time since I've ridden a bike this big. And it's a twisty and turny highway.

I will be riding that bike home like a centenarian gramma coming home in the old Caddy from church. And that'll be if I start feeling friksy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 PM

Looks good

Looking good, You made a good choice. I have an 06 Stratoliner with 51k miles no trouble.

It is a heavy bike, but the only time you will need to be carefull willl be when you are near stopped. Balance is good and weight is low. Once you get moving not much different from any other bike. Lots of torque. You might be carefull with the throttle for a while.

Dave
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for that advice (and encouragement), Dave.

I rode sportbikes quite a while back. Never had a bike that made 110 ft lbs at 2500 rpm, though. I'll be treating that throttle like the "football" case with the nuke codes they carry around for the president.

I'm glad you mentioned the part about needing to be careful when near stopped. I've got bad knees. You just talked me into wearing my heavy duty knee braces for the trip home.

Oh, the 51k mile thing is awesome to know, too. More than anything, I want a durable, reliable motorcycle that will go and go with basic maintenance.

Last edited by michaeld; 10-09-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 AM

I've had my Strat for nearly a month now. I love it. The only time at stops that the weight is an issue for me is when I have a passenger other wise I have zero issues standing still. Oh, and once you're rolling the pounds really melt off this thing. I came from an Aprilia Tuono which is damn near surgical with handling and had incredible brakes. I feel for a 800 cruiser the 'Liners handle and brake superbly.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

The repuation for handling was one of the big reasons that made me keep looking at this bike.

I remember a review that was describing how the tire-weight distribution is almost in perfect 50/50 balance (something like 49.6% of the bike's weight was on the front wheel), and that the 8-piece aluminum frame - as opposed to the forty-plus piece typical steel fram - provided a stiffness that gave the bike a solid, sure feel.

I come from sport bikes too. I no longer care about "surgical handling" in the sense of wanting to be able to hit Gs in turns, but I was concerned about being able to get away from an accident-situation. I wanted to be able to veer and stop well.

But now that you mention it, that great handling ought to help my new bike find its way to its new home in one piece.

I was hoping the owner would ride it home for me and I'd drive him back. But the reason he's selling is because he suffered a work injury (neck and back) that ended his riding days. So either I ride or I rent a truck. I suppose if I had a problem I could call my two service.

Once I get the bike home, I was figuring I'd ride it around the safe, deserted streets around where I live until I felt like I was ready to handle traffic and all the things that a cruel world could throw at me. But it turned out I'd be pushed out of the nest early.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM

I bought my 07 in Salem Oregon and flew out there to pick it up and ride iy back home in Bayfield Co. 1450 miles in two days and loved the ride. The bikes ride great handle better than most cruisers. Just be easy on the throttle from corner to corner as these bikes are fast and you will have no problems
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
I bought my 07 in Salem Oregon and flew out there to pick it up and ride iy back home in Bayfield Co. 1450 miles in two days and loved the ride.
So I guess you won't be too patient with me whining about my 50 mile ride, huh?

It turns out I won't get it today because the owner will get off of work too late for me to be able to ride it home in the daylight (which I very much want to be able to do). He'll be taking the day off tomorow and will actually even come by and get me at 8AM.

I clicked on the craiglist link and saw that the owner had deleted it.

Here are three pics of the bike:

http://startthinkingright.files.word...roadliner2.png

http://startthinkingright.files.word...oadliner2a.png

http://startthinkingright.files.word...oadliner3a.png

I spent the day yesterday getting the garage ready to accomodate the new queen.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:25 PM

I had not ridden my 'Liner prior to bringing it home and although I don't live far from the dealership I still got on the freeway and it was awesome.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Ten Twelve,

My situation may not be nearly as "rare" as I think it is - and it would make me HAPPY to learn that.

I put about 27,000 miles on a 1100cc sportbike (that I then modified the heck out of). But that was over 20 years ago.

Never rode at all since; until taking a basic motorcycle safety course.

Have my Class M1 license; it's a piece of paper because I just got it and the actual license hasn't come in the mail.

A lot of people think you should start out "small" and then work your way up in bike size; my view is to get what you want and then make sure you know how to ride it before you make a dumbass - and worse, a dead dumbass- out of yourself.

I might hop on it and it'll be 20 years ago. But I can't know until I get on the bike and take off. The more people who have done what I'm planning tomorrow, the better. Because I have never come across anything that "most people can do" that I haven't been able to do yet.

That said, if I'd bought the Valkyrie, I would have had a pretty uneventful ride home; whereas this is a pretty challenging ride. I'll go from a desert up to an elevation that gets snow, and then down a steep grade around curvy mountain roads until I get into desert again.

Fortunately most of it is four-lane road (2 lanes per side). So if somebody wants to go by the gramma on the motorcycle, they can.

If I get behind a truck, I'll stay behind that sucker.

And when I get home, I'll make sure I know how to ride my bike before I take it into traffic. So I don't make a (dead) dumbass out of myself.

I mean, this is just too pretty of a bike to have some fool crash it on his first ride.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
So I guess you won't be too patient with me whining about my 50 mile ride, huh?

It turns out I won't get it today because the owner will get off of work too late for me to be able to ride it home in the daylight (which I very much want to be able to do). He'll be taking the day off tomorow and will actually even come by and get me at 8AM.

I clicked on the craiglist link and saw that the owner had deleted it.

Here are three pics of the bike:

http://startthinkingright.files.word...roadliner2.png

http://startthinkingright.files.word...oadliner2a.png

http://startthinkingright.files.word...oadliner3a.png

I spent the day yesterday getting the garage ready to accomodate the new queen.
50 miles, I bet you do not stop with just 50 miles, you will probably turn around and ride back where you got it and ride back again.
It's hard to make short rides on the liners, you just do not want to stop,when I go to the store I do a 45-50 mile loop just to get there and do the loop back home,BTW the store is about a mile up the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode