New member from Maryland - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

New member from Maryland

Hey everyone!

Brand new to the forum and to Yamaha. Just bought a brand spanking new 2009 Roadliner! I know what you are thinking, brand new from 2009? Yes, the dealer got some "overstock" brand new in-the-crate bikes from Yamaha for cheap and I was able to get a great deal on one. I guess this is not that uncommon with motorcycles but I had never heard of it, this is the first bike I've bought and my first brand new vehicle.

A little background. I've had my M endorsement for about a year and a half. I couldn't get a bike right away, so a buddy of mine who has two bikes offered to lend me his 1981 Kawasaki KZ750. Now, I'm about 250lbs and 6 feet tall; if you've ever seen a KZ750 you'd agree that it is a little small for my frame. It's been a good bike, other than the PITA the carbs and messing with the choke. It has a in-line 4cyl, with little low end torque. BUT hey, it got me riding, and all I had to do was pay for gas... can't complain too much.

I was planning on getting a bike of my own early next year. Being fairly new to riding, I was looking at the HDs, since I've always liked the looks of them. But I try to be objective, specially with big purchases, so I made myself test ride a couple of different motorcycles before I made my final decision. So, in the spirit of objectivity, I took off last Saturday, on my KZ with the goal of taking a couple of test rides to help me narrow down my choices. One thing was clear, I wanted a cruiser.

I took a ride on my buddy's Suzuki Vstrom, didn't like it that much. It was a little too tall and I felt I wasn't getting enough feedback handling-wise. On the good side the ride was silky smooth and the engine was very responsive, considering it is a 750cc

First stop, HD. There I had the chance to ride a Dyna Super Glide. Good looking bike, nice amount of power, relatively comfortable ride, but I found it a little unwieldy. It felt like I had to wrestle it a little to get it to turn. At first I thought, maybe that's just the way bigger bikes handle, since it was the first "big twin" I'd ever ridden.

Second stop, BMW. I ended up not test riding anything there, just couldn't find anything that appealed to me.

Third stop, Yamaha. That particular dealer also sells Suzuki and Kawasaki. First bike that caught my eye was the new Stryker. Nice looking bike and they had a demo, so I took it for a ride. It was ok. The ride was a little rough, suspension is a little stiff, and the motor (1300) vibrates quite a bit and seemed to hesitate at time; and for some reason my boot kept catching on the foot peg after shifting. Then the sales guy talked me into trying the Roadliner, he kept saying how awesome the bike is and how many he's sold of them just because of the test ride. I was a little intimidated by the 1900 and the size of the bike, having not ridden a bike that big or a motor that powerful before; but he reiterated that it rides a lot better than I'd think, so I took him up on it. WOW, what a ride! I was instantly in love. Engine is super smooth, bike is very comfortable, and it handles awesome! So I came back from the test ride and the sales guy could see it in my face, I was very excited about this bike. We go inside and he shows me the 2009 NEW Roadliner and the price was just right. I go back and convince the accountant (wife) and 2 days later, IT IS MINE!!!!

I love the bike and look forward to getting to know you fellas and gals.

And now to what you have been waiting for... A PIC! kinda crappy, but it is from my phone. This was in the showroom floor just after I closed the deal, if you notice on the seat there is a piece of paper... It says "SOLD, do not sit". AWESOME!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Welcome BW. I understand completely about the brand new 2009 bikes. I bought a brand new '09 VStar 1100 about 4 mos. ago after buying a brand new VStar 650 a year ago and finding it too small. I would like to move up to a 1900 as well, but common sense has to prevail sooner or later (right?).
I have taken a lot of pictures similar to yours over the last year or so, so I can relate. Lately I've been snapping pics of the Raider (same power plant as yours, but looks like the Stryker).
Glad to have you....I can hear the little boy coming out in you already.

Enjoy the ride; embrace the joy......
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 PM

And the 'Liner owners numbers keep growing! Congrats man. That was the exact bike I was going to get before the deal fell through and I was offered a deal on a '09 Stratoliner S Demo (400 miles, never titled) I couldn't pass up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and be sure to take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Welcome aboard BigWilly !

I'm also a fairly new liner owner, got a new 07 for a price I couldn't talk myself out of lol. Brought the Beast home on the 6th of Aug 11. Just did the 4000 mile oil change and maintenance last weekend, already heading towards 4500 on the odometer. I have the Strat S with most of the goodies already installed, I been busy for the last two month's waiting on the UPS guy with more goodies. Enjoy that beautiful liner. Oh let us know what shop you got it from, mine came from Petes Cycles in Bal. And I live out in Eldersburg, just south of Westminster. I'll be looking for that Silver liner.

Enjoy !.
So for the basics only, My Strat S is setup like this.
MS batwing fairing with the Ms lowers.
Clearview 14" recurved windshield. Nice. I'm 6'6" so it works.
Bucks lowers, makes a big difference.
Linbey bars.
Pacific Star custom solo seat.
GPS mount
K&N air filter.
Loud Chrome Stebel airhorn, not mounted yet.
HR handlebar risers.
Custom large rack, With custom LED lights all over it.
a Saddlemans trunk, for now, have a new HD King tourpack going together now. with chrome top rack, chrome light protectors for rear LED light setups.
Stock leather covered Yamaha saddlebags.
And I'm sure there are some other things but my brain just reset lol !.
Plus a list of other things to be added soon, custom grips, rear bag crash bar and siderails, more LED lights. Cruise control. Sound system, custom fairing inserts. For radio and gps w/speakers, mp3 player. Custom passing light setup, changing turn and running lights to LED only.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWilly View Post

And now to what you have been waiting for... A PIC! kinda crappy, but it is from my phone. This was in the showroom floor just after I closed the deal, if you notice on the seat there is a piece of paper... It says "SOLD, do not sit". AWESOME!
Very nice indeed!

So what color are you going to have it painted once the gray primer dries?

...and welcome
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
but common sense has to prevail sooner or later (right?).
That's what my wife keeps saying, hasn't sunk in yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Lately I've been snapping pics of the Raider (same power plant as yours, but looks like the Stryker).
I was looking at the Raider but the shop didn't have a demo, and I really fell in love with the Roadliner. Did ride a Stryker and didn't like the ride that much, but they are both very nice bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcody40 View Post
Oh let us know what shop you got it from, mine came from Petes Cycles in Bal. And I live out in Eldersburg, just south of Westminster. I'll be looking for that Silver liner.

Enjoy !.
I got it from Ellicott City Motorsports, right off of Rt.40. They guys there were super friendly and helpful. I worked with Cayle for the test rides and ultimately the sale, very nice guy and very knowledgable. I've bought from them before but it was oil and such for the Kaw and my Scorpion helmet, so this is the first time i've dealt with the bike sales dept, no complaints at all.

CHEERS
-Willy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcody40 View Post
I'm also a fairly new liner owner, got a new 07 for a price I couldn't talk myself out of lol. Brought the Beast home on the 6th of Aug 11. Just did the 4000 mile oil change and maintenance last weekend, already heading towards 4500 on the odometer. I have the Strat S with most of the goodies already installed, I been busy for the last two month's waiting on the UPS guy with more goodies. Enjoy that beautiful liner. Oh let us know what shop you got it from, mine came from Petes Cycles in Bal. And I live out in Eldersburg, just south of Westminster. I'll be looking for that Silver liner.

Enjoy !.
So for the basics only, My Strat S is setup like this.
MS batwing fairing with the Ms lowers.
Clearview 14" recurved windshield. Nice. I'm 6'6" so it works.
Bucks lowers, makes a big difference.
Linbey bars.
Pacific Star custom solo seat.
GPS mount
K&N air filter.
Loud Chrome Stebel airhorn, not mounted yet.
HR handlebar risers.
Custom large rack, With custom LED lights all over it.
a Saddlemans trunk, for now, have a new HD King tourpack going together now. with chrome top rack, chrome light protectors for rear LED light setups.
Stock leather covered Yamaha saddlebags.
And I'm sure there are some other things but my brain just reset lol !.
Plus a list of other things to be added soon, custom grips, rear bag crash bar and siderails, more LED lights. Cruise control. Sound system, custom fairing inserts. For radio and gps w/speakers, mp3 player. Custom passing light setup, changing turn and running lights to LED only.

OH, and thanks for posting your list of mods, it will help me figure out mine
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Welcome to the 4M.

As said earlier, the roadliner/stratoliner numbers are growing. I got my 2009 Strato-S last year (leftover). I took a picture of mine in the showroom also and sent it to my wife's cell. Her text reply was, "need the checkbook?"

Now check out the lay down license plate holder threads on here because the more you stare at your new scoot, the more you may consider "fixing" that. I've said it before, the liner's design flows like the body of a mermaid, the license plate bracket looks like a barnacle on her ass.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Welcome to the 4M.

As said earlier, the roadliner/stratoliner numbers are growing. I got my 2009 Strato-S last year (leftover). I took a picture of mine in the showroom also and sent it to my wife's cell. Her text reply was, "need the checkbook?"

Now check out the lay down license plate holder threads on here because the more you stare at your new scoot, the more you may consider "fixing" that. I've said it before, the liner's design flows like the body of a mermaid, the license plate bracket looks like a barnacle on her ass.
I was pleasantly surprised when my wife actually urged me to buy it!

LOL, I like the mermaid analogy. I will definintely be looking at doing that, i've seen pics of some of the member's bikes with the lay down plate and it looks sexy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode