1st bike in 30 years, a STRAT! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Radarcontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Crestview, Florida (panhandle)
Posts: 99
1st bike in 30 years, a STRAT!

My new baby: 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight; V&H exhaust/fuel mgmt/air cleaner, Mustang seat, Engine guard w/pegs, OEM Strat passenger floorboards, etc.; 1-owner, only 7355 miles, garage kept, synth oil, etc. etc., etc.

A CHERRY!

I'm very excited, and looking forward to learning from the forum experts!

/Radar/
Radarcontact is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Corsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gatineau QC Canada
Posts: 3,650
Garage
Ok newbie, now you crossed the line. Bring that bike back and get a beginner scoot like everybody else. It's much safer that way. If you can't, buy me a plane ticket and I'll go get it until you get your biking legs back. Shouldn't take much more than a year or so on a 250.



Welcome to the forum Radar. Man I'm so envious right now. The strat is one honey of a bike and I only drove one once. Now that we know about your bike, tell us a bit more about you, where you're from, if you plan on doing some more mods etc etc etc .

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow


https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Corsair is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Radarcontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Crestview, Florida (panhandle)
Posts: 99
Lol, don't think that I'm not a little bit nervous about it!! Lol. But I'm mature, semi-intelligent, and conservative so I'm gonna take it slow.

I live in Florida (north of Destin/FtWaltonBeach), work with the USAF as a Dept Of Defense Air Traffic Controller. Have an empty nest right now so the wife and I love to take out our SeaDoo and now the bike.

Want to batwing it, driving/signal light it, new touring handlebars, need a drivers seat back for the Mustang, maybe a few other mods down the road. Need helmets, safety course ($200 in Florida), tag/title/registration first.

Thanks for asking!
Radarcontact is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 84
what no pics? But I like pictures......

welcome
cdndodgeboy is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Radarcontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Crestview, Florida (panhandle)
Posts: 99
I will post some by the end of the weekend, I promise!

I will be making the trek to Louisianna on Wednesday night to go pick it up, clean it Thursaday and hopefully get pics posted Friday.

Fair enough?
Radarcontact is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarcontact View Post
My new baby: 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight; V&H exhaust/fuel mgmt/air cleaner, Mustang seat, Engine guard w/pegs, OEM Strat passenger floorboards, etc.; 1-owner, only 7355 miles, garage kept, synth oil, etc. etc., etc.

A CHERRY!

I'm very excited, and looking forward to learning from the forum experts!

/Radar/
You got a Strat. There's really not much more to learn.

Well done.
Larry Gude is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
 
bevo1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 12,845
howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655


on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

bevo1981 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Radarcontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Crestview, Florida (panhandle)
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
You got a Strat. There's really not much more to learn.

Well done.
Well, thanks! Looked for months for a Kawi Nomad, almost closed on one but the guy got weird toward the end and insisted on cash money vs a bank check. I couldn't do it that way (logistics and time-frame we were dealing with) and he knew that, so...??

Now, my first question...is it a Strat, or a 'Liner? Lol

Edit: then I discovered the Stratoliner and forgot all about getting a Nomad. There's things I like about the Nomad but think the Yamaha is a better bike all around.
Radarcontact is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarcontact View Post
Well, thanks! Looked for months for a Kawi Nomad, almost closed on one but the guy got weird toward the end and insisted on cash money vs a bank check. I couldn't do it that way (logistics and time-frame we were dealing with) and he knew that, so...??

Now, my first question...is it a Strat, or a 'Liner? Lol

Edit: then I discovered the Stratoliner and forgot all about getting a Nomad. There's things I like about the Nomad but think the Yamaha is a better bike all around.
Saved by someone getting weird. One of the simple joys of a Strat is that it is air cooled.

As for 'Strat' or 'Liner', I've never heard it referred to as a 'Liner' but, you call it what you like and, it's such a small number of people, we don't judge. Just don't talk to the 'blue' people (Strat owners with blue paint). They ARE weird about stuff.

Again, once you got the main part down, the rest doesn't much matter.

Just for conversations sake; the tank is too small, cruise control would be nice, they're a bit 'windy', the suspension sucks and a bit of a bear in parking lots.

On the other hand, at speed, you don't need to shift down 2 or 3 gears if you wanna GO. You just twist. They are very stable yet, still want to lay into the curves. Wonderful balance of the two. Good brakes. The stock exhaust strike a great balance of tone without being too damn loud. But, I would think Vance and Hines sound pretty good.

Nomads a good bike. So are HD full dressers. So are Gold Wings and BMW 1600's. Strats are bare bones, all about the motor and handling.

They're not for flashy people or people with a need to belong to a marketing program. They are for people who like to ride, don't mind a sparse machine and enjoy the rewarding satisfaction of turning and burning on a brute of a bike.

It is also the best looking bike on the road.
Larry Gude is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Radarcontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Crestview, Florida (panhandle)
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
Saved by someone getting weird. One of the simple joys of a Strat is that it is air cooled.

As for 'Strat' or 'Liner', I've never heard it referred to as a 'Liner' but, you call it what you like and, it's such a small number of people, we don't judge. Just don't talk to the 'blue' people (Strat owners with blue paint). They ARE weird about stuff.

Again, once you got the main part down, the rest doesn't much matter.

Just for conversations sake; the tank is too small, cruise control would be nice, they're a bit 'windy', the suspension sucks and a bit of a bear in parking lots.

On the other hand, at speed, you don't need to shift down 2 or 3 gears if you wanna GO. You just twist. They are very stable yet, still want to lay into the curves. Wonderful balance of the two. Good brakes. The stock exhaust strike a great balance of tone without being too damn loud. But, I would think Vance and Hines sound pretty good.

Nomads a good bike. So are HD full dressers. So are Gold Wings and BMW 1600's. Strats are bare bones, all about the motor and handling.

They're not for flashy people or people with a need to belong to a marketing program. They are for people who like to ride, don't mind a sparse machine and enjoy the rewarding satisfaction of turning and burning on a brute of a bike.

It is also the best looking bike on the road.
^^^^ LOVE THIS!
Thanks for taking the time.
Radarcontact is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome