Hello From Houston - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Hello From Houston

New here - looking for next bike currently and like the strat. Prices are all over and I am alittle confused on which way to go.
Get a new 09 for $12k out the door or a 08 with pipes,engine guard,and rear floor boards w/7800 mile for 10k out the door.
Is there any difference in the basic bike? Any changes between the two model years?

We (the wife and I) like to go for short rides. 1 to 2 hours tops at one sitting. That gets us to Galvaston,Lake Conroe, Huntsville for some nice rides. Our last bike was a Honda VTX1800 so I do enjoy the power!

Any ideas or comments on finding us a new ride will be helpful.
Thanks
~S~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Welcome dvl. Sorry I don't have any insight on the Strat, but there are plenty of proud Strat riders that frequent this forum.

My two cents is the used one sounds like a good deal since it have extras you would eventually buy anyway, but that is coming from a guy who went with the brand new '09 and I don't regret it for a second. There's something to be said for being the sole owner of your bike......

Ride safe.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Welcome from Washington State.

Sorry, can't help you with the strat decision.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome aboard. You are on the right track. The stratoliners are awsome machines.If I had to do it all over again I would buy a used one with some goodies.But when I bought mine I couldn't find any used ones.Any way I wanted a brand new bike that way I could break it in the way I wanted to.But for money savings a used bike is the way to go.Check out craigslist,there are several in the portland.or area under 10k with some add ons.Goodluck on the hunt and keep us informed.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvtongdvl View Post
Any changes between the two model years?

Welcome

You'll find the Strat/Strat S (Stratoliner "S" model has more chrome to polish):

(My baby, about fully accessorized, but I don't do two-up so I removed the pillion and sissy bar)

has basically remained the same right up until the 2012 offerings when their style people OD'd and they lost sight of their original concept. About the only difference is the availability of colors; mechanically they're unchanged since their '06 introduction.

Only you will be able to decide what accessories you want or need. I suspect one of the first things you'll want to change is that spartan pillion seat. My choice is Ultimate; others here have different preferences.

The 7800 miles is nothing, always assuming the bike was properly maintained and operated intelligently. Spending less at the get-go leaves you $$ to fine tune the riding position and other comfort items. Buying new gives you the blank canvas and ironclad warranty.

Your choice, but any Strat you pick will be the right one

PS-
My Strat replaced my Goldwing
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
hdeater113 - I noticed your reckless batwing addition and checked out their website.
How are you liking it? Do you have handlebar controls like the factory one?

I found a 2008 midnight strat yesterday with more goodies than before and less miles. Same price - I really like the look and comfort (blocking the wind to my hands) the batwing fairing would give. Also like the radio part because earbuds are a pain. Little things like that bother you as you get older.
If I added the batwing fairing to a midnight strat - do you think that would be too much RAVEN?

Has anyone reported a problem with the black peeling from the engine parts on a midnight model?
Sorry about so many questions , but with so many cool bikes and options, its hard to decide.
~S~
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting once you get it.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

hey Springer. do you own a strat? you should post pics of it so each new member will know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode