Hi from SF - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Tim

Hi from SF

Tim here. Been away from the board for a very long time but my bike is back on the road after a long hiatus out of the country and I'm hoping to get some help turning some wrenches on it. Look forward to any advice I can offer as well from the experience I've got doing things the wrong way the first time.
2002 XVS1100A (original owner).

After screwing up my engine after a tiny little timing spring popped out as I was replacing my starter clutch, I finally swapped in a whole new (used but with half the miles) engine off eBay and it's running great . Ironically (or rather unironically considering how notorious the starter clutch design on this thing is) the starter clutch blew on the replacement already too but my second attempt at it was a full success. Popped new tires, rotors and brakes on it and now we're good to go except one thing.

I think my clutch is going. When I accelerate quickly (which I generally don't, but started noticing the issue first on the highway with a passenger) it feels like the clutch slips and the engine starts racing until I let off the accelerator and then it catches again. Does this sound like the common way a clutch starts going? I'm resolved to at least attempt all the maintenance on this bike myself but never worked on this or any other bike clutch before. Still I've got the tools and my trusty Clymer manual so I'm here looking for advice (will post this in the technical section when they let me).

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by Tim; 10-16-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 PM

Garage
Smile

Welcome to the forum from here in Northwest Illinois. Great to have you here and look forward to reading your posts and seeing pics of your bike. Post often and ride safe.

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

be sure to ask your questions in the v star section as well

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 PM

Welcome Tim from a fellow (transplanted) FogHead!

Here in SF there is a great resource in MotoShop, a community garage just opposite the Anchor Steam brewery on De Haro. I go there whenever I need to do any work - Wilder and Alex (the owners) are friendly, they have every possible tool you would ever need (no reason to spend a fortune on something you will probably only use once or twice in your life ), and there is always someone around willing to help if you have any questions or are short a third hand. There is also a motorcycle rental business operating out of their space so the Motoquest mechanic is around most of the time if Wilder can't help you. http://www.motoshopsf.com/

I can't speak intelligently to your clutch problem (I'm still learning how to wrench a bike myself) but I can be a ride partner midweek if you are interested

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 AM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...repairs/clutch.............you need to adjust the engine end of the cable first.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Tim. You've just joined the best place to learn about your vstar, meet great folks and talk bike. Looking forward to reading your posts, ride stories and seeing a few pics of that bad boy you're working on.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...repairs/clutch.............you need to adjust the engine end of the cable first.
Thanks for this, that site is awesome.

I will try this cable adjustment as a first step.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:03 PM

great site be sure to read proper starting procedure it can save you a lot of de nieros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode