Hello from Bellingham, WA! '13 VStar 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Bellingham, WA! '13 VStar 950

Hi everyone! I've been riding a 2007 VStar 650 since 2010, but this weekend, I got my new 2013 VStar 950 and super excited! I'm excited to join this form and share some thoughts with other Star owners! I've had my eye on this bike for a while- I really wanted a white one and wanted to graduate to a little more power. I intend on having this baby for quite some time! I have loved every bit of my VStars!

I'm originally from West Texas, but now I live in Bellingham, WA- moved here about 6 years ago. I am excited to start customizing my bike a little and making it truly my own. I'm looking towards some Cobra exhaust pipes and maybe the Fi2000R fuel management system. I'd be happy to hear some opinions, advice, reviews on them if anyone has any!

I love to ride and be outdoors but am not looking forward to the wet and rainy PNW fall/winter- as far as riding goes!

Thanks for having this forum and I look forward to looking!

Safe riding everyone!
Ashlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Ashlie. Great intro post and pics to boot . Lot's of folks on here with the 950 and they all love them. I'm looking forward to reading your posts, looking at more pics and seeing how high your mark will be when you pass the 950 exam.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Oh no, there is studying required on this forum?!?! I thought I was done with college!

What are the exam questions like? I could think of worse topics to study on...

Thanks for the warm welcome! Put on a pair of mirrors last night, looking a little better already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Garage
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Corsair is right about the exam. Our resident 950 expert is bevo. I ride an 09' 950t and had to pass his exam on the history of the 950. I passed it the second time, and it made me appreciate my bike even more. The 950 loves upgrades. I have a modified exhaust and air kit and fuel processor on mine. Now i can run with big dogs and still get good mileage. Thanks for including pics with your intro. Ride safe and post often!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Keith,

Oh boy, now I'm nervous...but I do wanna learn more about my bike all the time!

I'm looking at parts to add, I'm very pleased with my first simple installation of new mirrors.

What brand are your modifications? Did you go with any Cobra products? I talked to a gentleman there at Cobra this morning and he was awesome to talk to and encouraging about what I was shopping around for. I think I will go with them.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:25 PM

Garage
I have the cobra slip on 4" muffler, great sound and simple install. Cobra fuel processor with oxygen sensor edition, and la choppers xxx air kit. By shopping around i saved $400 on parts and did my own installs. I personally shopped at Amazon, ebay, and phat performance. All were great to deal with. Im sure other 950 owners will be of great help as well. Youll love this forum for its helpful members. Keep us updated on your mods.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 PM

Garage
Heres some pics of my bike after the upgrades. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1414002502811.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	37833   Click image for larger version

Name:	1414002567620.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	37841  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Your bike is Beautiful Keith! I do like the classic black.

yes, thank you! I am starting to shop around and started with JP Cycles, but cruisercustomizing.com is a little cheaper. They also have sales and a package discount...which is supposedly saving me about $300 right now!

Now that I have my cart full, I'll start shopping elsewhere. The thing about Ebay, Amazon, etc. I would like to pay a little more to have that lifetime warranty on the Cobra exhaust should anything happen, and the Fi2000R has a 2 year warranty. They told me if I buy from a non-dealer, no warranty. Might be worth $50-100. Cheaper than my local shop told me so far, so it's a start.

I do like that air intake on yours. I was just looking at the Kuryakyn Alley cat...it looks fun! I'm nervous about my own install, but I want to learn and the Cobra guy told me go for it! It's str8fwd and I can call/youtube for help. Now I might have some new friendly sources!!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Garage
I understand about the package discount. Ive used cruisercustomizing in the past as well and they were very helpful. When i purchased my upgrades like my muffler, it was from an authorized dealer so i got the lifetime warranty. The install took me 27mins and i took my time. The only self install that took some time was the fuel processor, but im old and slow, lol. The air kit with removal of the factory one, and install of the aftermarkit one took me an hour including adjusting the "pots" on the fuel processor. Once your installs are done, youll notice a considerable difference in overall performance with more low end grunt which helps out while riding in traffic.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Garage
Smile

Welcome to the forum from here in Northwest Illinois. Looks like you have some beautiful country to ride that 950 in. Keep up the great posting and ride safe.

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode