new rider - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

new rider

Hi All,

Recently took MSF course and thinking about getting a vstar 650 as a first bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum eh. The 650 is one very nice ride for sure. But I order for us to advise you on your first purchase, we need to know a little more about you. Where you're from, what kind of riding you'll be doing, if you think you'll catch CCitiss and want to upgrade in the first two weeks . Let us know eh.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:16 PM

Garage
Smile

Welcome to the forum fromhere in Northwest Illinois. G many andlad to hear you're joining us amd considering the 650 for your first bike. I rode a 650 for a year and half and have nothing but good things to say about them. A great bike to start with and many riders here have never changed. Keep us informed and send pics when you get that bike. Post often and ride safe/

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. any questions?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

What I want in a bike.

I took the MSF course and did fine - always driven stick shift cars and ride bicycles to wasn't too hard.

One that fits. I'm just over 6'2'' and some of the 250 bikes and Suzuki S40 feel cramped.

However, I want a bike that isn't too big! I'm in pretty good shape so weight isn't a huge concern, but after sitting on a lot of bikes at dealership to get a feel, I realized being relatively close to the ground is comforting (not like a 32inch seat height dual sport adventure touring bike).

I want a bike that isn't expensive to own, and that I could sell at nominal loss.

It would be fun if it was big enough to carry a passenger after I get comfortable enough riding it.

It would mainly be a weekend pleasure bike... ride to next town to get food, ride it to the water on the weekend, etc...

I'm from Michigan, don't think I'll get CCitis (could see wanting a bike that did a little better on highway or more of a sport tourer at some point). Fortunately, I am big enough that mid-sized bikes feel safe and comfortable.

Thanks!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Garage
Hi and welcome to the forum. I had a 650 for three years before ccitis hit me and i moved up to the 950t. Corsair warned me, and he was right! May i suggest you take your time and shop around. Sit on a few 650's, 950's, and maybe even a 1300. At 6' 2" you have the height to sit on a few different models. Its just a suggestion tho. Glad youre with us, and keep us posted with what you decide upon, and of course include some pics. Ride safe!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 PM

I'm 6'4" 280 lbs and rode a 950 Tourer for a few months then traded it in for a 1300 Tourer. Although there is minor differences in the size and weight the 1300 just feels like it fits me better. I do like highway bars with pegs to stretch out my legs but my main reason for trading up was while the 950 had plenty of power it just seemed like it was missing a gear at highway speeds. 5th gear on the 1300 seems to be in the sweet spot around 70-75mph and doesn't feel like there should be one more gear like the 950 did at that speed.

Steve H.

2007 V-Star 1300 Tourer

Flying may get you there faster, but you can't take your toys with you on the plane !!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

if you're looking for inexpensive that doesn't lose much value, consider buying used. or at least a new 'left over' bike from a dealer that has been sitting for a couple years. as for comfort and size, just go sit on some at a nearby dealer and see what fits. i recommend the 950 because it's the greatest bike in the history of the world, but it's not for everybody.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode