Greetings from the Land of Enchantment - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Greetings from the Land of Enchantment

That's New Mexico, to the uninitiated

Looking at trading up from my scooters (zuma 50 and vino 50) to a V-star 250 this tax refund. Got lucky and the local shop has a new 2009 that they haven't been able to sell yet. Did a motorcycle safety course that happened to have one as well, so I got to do a 2 day test drive on the bike I want!

Now comes the part where I ask for help...

I would think that the dealership will be willing to cut me a major deal since I bought both scooters from them, at full price. The bike has been sitting in their shop for quite some time, so I think they'll want the space. In fact, they've offered 500 dollars off the list price during their Black Friday deal. When I spoke with a salesman, though, they said they could only do 400 off.

I think there's a negotiation lever there somewhere.

Ultimately, they've done a basic offer of 4279 out the door for the bike. Think I can get better? Any tips would be welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome aboard.V-star 250 is a very good starter bike.They get a million miles on a gallon of fuel.Have you done any research on a used one? or do you really want a new bike?I bought a 2008 in 2008 when the fuel prices were $5.00 a gallon and they were not budging on the price because the next person in the door would buy it.If you want a new bike try to get them to drop the freight and assembly fees.Bikes are not selling right now.Another thing is that's a 3 year old bike as soon as you ride off with it and that's all it's worth 2009 used price.That's the bad thing buying left over bikes.I know because I bought a new left over.I would even try and price out a couple of dealers.Don't settle on the first price. Make that sales rep work for his commission. Hope this helps.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 AM

G'Day and welcome to the forum Grima, cannot give too much advice re your question due to different locaities but HDeater and the rest of the guys will be able to assist you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. As HD said above make the salesperson work for his commission. The 250 is a good starter bike but are'nt you affraid that you'll out grow it to fast. For the amount they are asking you can get a bigger ride that will last you longer. Just saying.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting once you get it.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

the MSRP for a 2012 V Star 250 is under $4200. for a 3-4 year old leftover bike that is not that popular to begin with, in the winter, with the country trying to pull out of a recession, they can certainly do better than $4279. they're trying to hose you no matter what they say to your face about how good of a price it is. i don't know what the market is for that model in your area, but i'll bet they can get a lot closer to $3500 than you think.

i agree with the others about looking for something used. you can find a used 250 for around $2500 or a used 650 for around $3500. the 250 is a good starter bike, but not that good for getting on the highways. and since you're already looking to upgrade as it is, you will probably find yourself looking to upgrade again before long if you're just stepping up to the 250. if most of your riding is going to be on the same roads that you take your scooters on, then the 250 will be fine. do some research and look around at other dealerships, craigslist, cycletrader, ebay, etc.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Welcome aboard!

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input! I've looked over all the used bikes within 200 miles of me and they're all either shady (1984 virago with only 200 miles... hmm) or they're for frames/parts only.

The biggest part for me is that I need to get rid of the scooters at the same time, so a dealership is pretty much the only option for me.

I'll be sticking to the same roads as my scooters for the most part. Maybe hit the highway in emergencies. I've looked at the 650 and the mpg just isn't good enough for my purposes. And the 250 isn't that popular out here. Heck, I've only found 2 of the new ones for sale in the state and for them to have a leftover one from 3 years ago? Doubt it's that popular.

Obviously, I don't negotiate that much. I got screwed on the previous purchases, so I think I'm going to have to be a bit a butthead this time around. Thanks again!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Sounds like the 250 fits your liking and the fuel mileage is great! I've had 250's on the highway before, other than being blow around more than bigger bikes no problem. Happy hunting or negotiating!
Let us know what you buy, and post pics!

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode