New member with VStar 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

New member with VStar 950

Just recently purchased a VStar 950. Moving down from HD Dyna - of many years. Interesting change.......seems to be a nice lighter bike, and sufficient for my present level of riding. Hope to become more familar with the bike through this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome aboard.It was not a move down but a big step forward.If your hd was an older one then it was still naturally aspirated,were as the 950 is equipped with new state of the art fuel injection.Don't under estimate the star bikes,they are very well made.Post some pics of your new scoot.Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

950s RULE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome aboard message + photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeater113 View Post
Welcome aboard.It was not a move down but a big step forward.If your hd was an older one then it was still naturally aspirated,were as the 950 is equipped with new state of the art fuel injection.Don't under estimate the star bikes,they are very well made.Post some pics of your new scoot.Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.
Thanks for the welcoming......have about 200 miles on this 950....see already I'll need to replace the OEM seat (any suggestions?), and along with that, the OEM 16" windshield will have to be replaced for a 20" one - (any suggestions other than that?) - have to cut that wind buffeting....16" is too short. Other than those two issues the bike seems to be working out well......a little short on torque, compared the Dyna, but I'll get used to that. I'll see if I can post a photo of the 950.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 VStar 950 015.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1365  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from Quebec Canada, home of the fastest colour bike around RED You'll find this forum very informative and fun. Enjoy

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 PM

Welcome aboard!

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

i recommend the mustang seat. i've put almost 20,000 miles on mine and it still holds its shape. it's ridiculously comfortable. every bike owner i know that have sat on mine have said it's the most comfortable seat they've ever sat on. i put over 800 miles on it one day and the only part of me that wasn't aching or fatigued was my butt. so yeah, i'd recommend it. mine is the wide studded seat.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

bevo 1981.........Thanks for the info on your Mustang Seat.........I've seen that seat on the Mustang website......it's a looker. Should I decide to go with Mustang - it will be with studs. You mentioned 'wide studded seat', are there choices in width of the seats?

In the small snapshot (of your bike) it appears you have a tan seat cover - are there color choices too?

Thanks
Lee
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

hdeater113 - I just noticed your forum name (hd eater) - clever. When I earlier stated I 'moved down' from a HD, I was referring to displacement......not quality. In my earlier days, I've owned FOUR Yamaha bikes - two 650s......one 750 (twin)...and one 750 four cylinder. LIked them all......the twin cyl 750 (with counter balancer) only was sold for 2 to 3 years. Bad engine design, but a wonderful bike before they began destroying their crankcase. The four cyl 750 was the most confortable and road worthy bike I've owned. Bought it in 1982 and traded it for my first HD in 1989. Sooooo, I have little doubt I'll enjoy owning my (now) 5th Yamaha. Just wish four cylinder bikes could still be found......loved that torque......loved that sound!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM

Welcome leeanders! Good choise of bike. I'm a proud 950T owner. I know what you mean about the old 4 cylinders, I had a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim, what a great little bike that was, ran great and ran strong for years, was still great when I sold it. wish I still had it as a second bike.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode