New Member - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Hi from somewhere north of Pittsburgh. We're getting hammered by snow right now. Previous to a year and a half ago, I hadn't ridden for 33 years. Over two years ago, I saw a black classic '83 Honda CM250 Custom (the only year they made it in belt drive) for sale in almost mint condition for $800. I passed on it and after almost a year it bothered me so much that I finally stopped at the seller's house to see if they could contact the buyer so I could make an offer on the bike. It was fall and the economy had gotten even worse. Many an enthusiastic noob finds that riding just isn't for them after all, and will sell after a few fair-weather miles. Quite a few noobs that get hooked the first time out will sell to upgrade.

The seller's wife answered the door and before I could finish what I had planned to say, she said, "Oh yeah, he's still got the bike. It's in the garage if you want to see it. Let me get him." The guy had taken a $25 deposit on the thing and had contacted the would-be buyer three times over 10 months with no results. He sold it to me for $700.

I loved the little thing. 70+ mpg and surprisingly, more than enough low-end torque to keep up with city and back-road traffic. The frame and tank are huge for a 250cc, so (even at 6' 1") I didn't look silly on it. But the peg position made for a cramped posture and the engine is screaming at 55+ mph.

A buddy with a 1500 Vulcan said a 650 v-star would probably be a good fit, so I started looking this past fall after a few hundred miles on the Honda. I found my sweet 650 custom for $3000 on CL a couple of months ago and sold the Honda with it's new battery and moto-sports cover for what I had invested.

I'm not a big fan of interstate speeds. I'm more of a cross-country back-roads guy. This beauty should do me for years to come. It only had 1485 miles on the clock when I loaded it in the van for the trip home. It came with bags, tank strap, windshield, chrome covers, cruise seat, Jardine pipes, jetted carbs, flame grips, LEDs and a new helmet and new studded gloves. Even if the roads are splatter wet, if the temp gets above 46, I start it. It gives me an excuse to sit on it.

I put a composite 6-pic image in the gallery if you want to get a better look at it. I didn't want to duplicate here and take up a lot of space. On a side note, there's a somewhat decked out 650 classic on CL right now for only $2000. Looks like the deal of the decade.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2760081719.html

My avitar is a shot of my new pony. My composite shots in my gallery are at: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...&pictureid=864

1965 Honda Dream 305cc (Stock, built like a tank and looked like one too. The only bike I ever drove long-distance in a white-out blizzard.)
1972 Honda Scrambler 350cc (Custom paint, extended forks, mild pullback handlebars, padded sissy bar.)
1974 Bridgestone 175cc (Stock. You can laugh, but I got that thing up to 110 mph on a flat road.)
1972 Yamaha 350cc (Stock.)
1965 Norton 650cc (Torn down to each and every bolt and cotter pin. Tank and covers acid dipped. Painted and chromed. Extended forks, pullbacks, new pipes and padded sissy bar.)
1983 Honda CM250 250cc (Stock.)
2003 Yamaha 650cc Custom (Present day)

Last edited by 650vstar2003; 01-19-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome aboard.Very nice portfolio you have there.Great lookin scoot.Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. We just got hit by a nice dump of freezing rain, snow, ice pellets and freezing rain again, followed by a flash freeze. Only 2.5 months to go.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Welcome you are my hero with the variety of bikes you have owned...

2009 V Star 650 Classic...Willie and Max Revolution saddlebags...Saddlemen Explorer Seat...Cobra Round Bar Standard Backrest...Life is Good....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. It's 19 degrees at 3:34 in the afternoon. At least the sun's out. I just bought a new battery and terminals for the metro coupe but might be able to take the battery back tomorrow. The ignition did nothing but click when I went to start the car this morning. I greased and tightened the old negative terminal down on the huge old interstate that's in there a few days ago, but found it to be loose again when I started to put the new terminal on. I put a new terminal on the negative cable, greased it and cranked it back down on the interstate. If it holds it's charge till tomorrow, I'll have saved fifty bucks for a while. The positive terminal is a copper ring type and seems tight and clean, so I'm putting the extra terminal on the shelf in the basement for future use. I'm going to have to put a dose of my additive in the gmc safari. it wants to spit and sputter for the first few cranks when it's this cold and it's been left alone for a couple of days. Probably the damned corn oil in the gas again.

Last edited by 650vstar2003; 01-20-2012 at 03:05 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Hello and welcome to the 4M.

I confess, I didn't read your entire introduction but with a quick scan of the 1st and last sentence you're from Pittsburg and have a '03 V-Star 650. Good enough for me!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Hello and welcome to the 4M.

I confess, I didn't read your entire introduction but with a quick scan of the 1st and last sentence you're from Pittsburg and have a '03 V-Star 650. Good enough for me!
i read it in shifts. took a couple pee breaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode