Hello from Seattle!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Smile Hello from Seattle!!

Hi All! I am a new rider from near Seattle. Rode a little Honda 75cc motorcycle when I was a teenager (age 14-18) and loved every minute of it. Now, a few days after my 46th birthday, I bought a bike. A beautiful 2007 Yamaha V-Star 650! Only has 6K miles on the clock too. Red color. Has a windshield and a little windshield bag. Passed the MSF course in late May and after a quick around the block test ride on this one I knew it was for me. I had been looking at the Honda VLX but the 4 speeds and the little gas tank worried me a bit. Plus the chain was also a minus. The V-Star 650 fixes these issues, as well as having a simpler air cooled design and not to mention it just looks a heck of a lot better too.

My friends "in the know" that also ride told me Yamaha was a step up from Honda (one, an engineer, said Yamaha has better technology than Honda does).

So I'm currently away on business but when I get back I'm going to pick up the bike from the dealer and start riding! I really feel like I need more practice, especially for low speed parking lot riding. This bike balances a little differently than the Honda VLX did, which seemed easier to ride than the V-Star 650 does. Maybe it's the wider tank on the Yamaha but it does feel a little more of a handful to ride. Don't know why.

Still, I can't wait to get out and start practicing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yama.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	45697  

Last edited by Yama; 06-23-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 07:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Hi Yama,

Welcome to the forums from the Netherlands, and thank you for the great introduction!
Yamaha bikes are the most reliable in the world, so your engineer friend did not advise badly .
And the 650 is really a gem, beautiful looking bike too - the proportions seem just perfect. The 650 is substantially heavier than the Honda is, and has a lower point of gravity, so it would handle differently indeed.

What you may want to look into is changing the handlebars, or ad a set of risers - that may make all the difference. It certainly did for me on my Yammies. It seems that with the cruisers, the handlebars are just a little too far away from the right seating position for most people.

Get your dealer to help you with this: sit on the bike, close your eyes, sit comfortably and hold your arms where you would like the handlebars to be, where it feels comfortable. It likely only requires a few inches here and there, but it'll make a world of difference, I can assure you, both in comfort, and in handling.

Kind regards, Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 07:42 AM
eGo

Welcome from Southern MD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:28 AM

Garage
Hi Yama, very nice intro and a pic to boot! I concur with everything wimg said. Glad to have you aboard and ride safely!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:53 AM

Welcome from southwestern PA. Congrats. Nice ride and good choice.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your kind welcome and advice. I think I like the fit of the bike so far. Really need to practice riding it in slow speed parking lot stuff. Of course bombing down a straight road at 40MPH is a piece of cake, and comfortable too! I know I can do that without issue. But I want to practice emergency stops, tight U-turns, and swerves, just like we did on the little 250cc bikes in the MSF class. So this Sunday it's off to a parking lot to practice a bit!

I want to leave the bike in as stock condition as possible. I won't know if I am a true motorcyclist until I have this thing for about a year, and will see how much I ride it. Also as I do not have a garage to park it in, I am having to rent one for $100 per month! Cost is high but I want to take care of it especially during the winter when it may rain a lot.

Will be back with updates! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode