Will soon be a 1300 owner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Smile Will soon be a 1300 owner

Hello all. After 26 years of owning and running a lawn service company here in central Florida I am selling my business and plan to retire. After cashing that check from the sale of the business I plan to race on up to the Yamaha dealer and get myself a 1300 tour. Actually, I may decide to seek out a used one, if I can find an adult ridden one in good shape with low miles. Way way back when I owned a Kawasaki triple 750 H2. A smoky 2 stroke screamer. Marriage to my wife of 41 years dictated that it had to be sold. But now the wife and I look forward to some 2 up riding. I've taken and passed the MSC to get the endorsement for my FL license and can't wait to get back in the saddle. I found that the 1300 is the right "fit" for me. Everyone wants a Harley but here in FL I feel that the best type of bike is one with a water cooled engine. Harleys are way to expensive anyway. I look forward to getting all the info I might ever need here on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:25 AM
eGo

Welcome from Southern MD!!! Congrats on retirement!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 05:40 AM

I just got a 1300 and am very happy with her. I wish you the same. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 05:45 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum YamaEd, and congrats on your retirement. The 1300 is a great bike. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come. You've joined the best group to get the info you seek. Send us some pics after your purchase and ride safely!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forums form the Netherlands, and congrats with your choice! It is a great bike indeed! I had one, but wanted a little bit more grunt at lower revs, so traded it in again, for its bigger sister .

The 1300 is an extremely smooth machine, which doesn't ride like a traditional chopper at all - easy to manoeuvre, great for steering. It can even be improved, something I did, by having the standard front fork springs replaced with progressive front fork springs. Considering the relatively low cost, something I recommend to everybody, and it makes quite a difference, amazingly enough. Handling goes from very good to perfect .

As Keith mentions, please do show us some pics once you get your new machine, we are quite a visual bunch, and like to drool over pics of everybody's motorcycles here .

Kind regards, and many safe rides,
Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM

I rode a 1300T from 2009 until I traded it in on a 2013 Road Star Silverado S this past January 2015. I do miss the water cooled engine sometimes and the screaming HP the V-star has (77) vs the RSSS. In order to get good highway legs on the 1300 I swapped out the 30T pulley for a 31T and went with a slightly larger Shinko radial tire in the rear. However I think a 32T would be more appropriate to lower the engine RMP's for a more comfortable highway cruise to keep down the vibrations. The V is up in the mid 3000rpm range compared with the RSSS that runs in the upper 2000's. I drilled out the stock exhaust and air cleaner, installed a HD style Tourpac from http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...50&menu=Harley Saddlebags, Tour Pak&s=prod.php
, Throttle lock, set of driving lights, Lowers, and engine guard covers for those cold Texas mornings, and finished it off with Ultimate seats and built my own backrest.
I rode the bike to Sturgis and back and logged 40,000 highway miles on it. The only thing I had to do to it was change the oil and filter every 4000 miles and change the sparkplugs with Platinum's. Not a bad bike for only $8000 slightly used. I was considering trading it in on a new 2015 V-star 1300 Deluxe but when I spotted the RSSS for a measly $9000 brand new I jumped at the chance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1300T.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	45945  

R Brown
U.S. Army Medical Corp SFC (Ret)
2013 Road Star Silverado
[URL="[URL=http://s224.photobucket.com/user/ms14796/media/Russ_Silverado.jpg.html][IMG]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:25 PM

Welcome YamaEd to the forum from southwestern PA. Please do post up some pics after yer purchase.

Sonysnek
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Sonysnek, I and my wife are originally from SW PA. Monroeville, just 15 miles east of Pittsburgh. Been in FL since 87.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 05:03 PM

You will love the 1300! My favorite upgrade was a USB port mounted to the handle bars and a mount for my smart phone. One word of caution to you would be very cautious of other people on the roads , most are distracted and paying little attention especially those with cell phones. I'm writing this laying in my hospital bed. Very much alive but with a broken nose and a split patella in my knee. Bike is totaled and I'm done riding for the northern season. Wear good protective equipment and enjoy. Best wishes to you. !
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So sorry to hear of your injuries Dairy Guy. Hope you heal quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode