New to riding, should have started sooner! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Kel

New to riding, should have started sooner!

Hey all, I'm 28 years old and was deathly afraid of bikes in general due to an introduction to a barbed wire fence provided by one of those little 120cc mini bikes when I was 12. I finally said I'm done being afraid of bikes and bought my 09 V Star 950 used for a great price. It only had 1800 miles on it after three years since production!

I've been riding it non stop for about a week now, and let me tell you I should have bought a bike a looooong time ago!

About the bike:
09 V Star 950
2300 miles (as of today)
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes (these were already installed, and AWESOME)
Mustang Seat (a MUST have in my opinion)
Kuryakyn ISO Grips (Black) with Throttle Boss
It also had a headlight modulator already installed when I bought it.

I originally bought it in Tommy Blue, but am not a huge fan of that color, so I had them paint it Candy Burgundy and add a couple of skulls to it as well. It is hard to see in my pictures, but the skull on the gas tank has black "cracks" shooting off of it into the tank that really pops out at you in the sunlight.

Overall, as my first bike I am very happy! The guys at the custom shop where I bought it from really took care of me, giving me all that for a grand total less than a brand new stock 950!

Kinda hard, but you can just make out the black "cracks" coming off of the skull into the tank. It really pops in the sunlight!

Some close ups of the skull to show the "cracks" that pop out in direct sunlight.

Last edited by Kel; 05-23-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Moving the bike picks to the front thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Welcome to the club. When I was young, I had a run-in with a dune buggy on my suzuki 100, and didn't ride again until I got my suzuki bandit at 19. A few bikes and 5 years later I got my 1602cc yamaha roadstar. I'm 28 now and love to ride.

A word of warning, low miles on a bike isn't always good. I've seen 2000-2500 miles on 2004 models and that just means they spent more time sitting than riding, and maintenance was probably not done on time for the few trips it made.

Throttle lock is awesome, but I wouldn't use for more than if you need to take your hand off the throttle to pick your nose or if your hand cramps up. It doesn't automatically disengage, which can be disastrous.

Congrats, and enjoy the ride!

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Kel

Wise words, and well heeded. I made sure that my buddy, who is well versed in bikes, looked over mine before I bought it. He told me if I didn't buy it, he would haha. As far as the Throttle Boss, it is not an actual throttle lock. It is a paddle, as it were, that lets me keep pressure on the throttle with my palm, while at the same time relaxing cramped fingers.
So far I've put about 700 miles in a week on it, and haven't had a single problem. Other than crazies on the road of course haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Ah, gotcha. I know them, I just didn't remember what it was called. Throttle lock is super nice though, but I seldom use it for more than a couple seconds when I need to adjust the helmet or make a phone call.

What kind of mileage are you getting on it?

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Kel

So far I am getting anywhere from 180-210 a tank, depending on how and where I am riding. I am avoiding freeways for the most part right now until I get used to riding more.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM

For me there was more getting used to on the freeway, because of hte insane wind, especially at 90+mph. I figure it's how superman must have felt when he first started flying.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Kel

HAHA!!! I imagine it feels even worse for me, I don't have a windscreen on my bike so even 70 mph makes me feel like I'm base jumping. I'm slowly getting used to higher speeds though, the initial shock of "Holy CRAP that's a lot of wind!" isn't as bad as it used to be. I still don't use freeways much though, not much need here in MI.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Hi Kel! I also am a very happy owner of a 2009 950 V Star - bought a few weeks ago with 4000km on her. Mine is the tourer so it does have the saddle bags and windscreen, and I LOVE it! She handles like a dream, loves the corners, and she's not too bad to look at. Glad you gave biking a try - it's in your blood now! Ride safe.

2009 V Star 950 Tourer
Priors include 2005 Suzuki Boulevard 800
1981 Yamaha 750 Virago
1979 Honda 400 Hawk
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Welcome and congrats on the bike. Sounds like your well on your way making it your own.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome to the forum. Send some pics of the bike.
ride safe.

Jack Schade
2009 Roadstar Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode