Thinking about a 950T - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about a 950T

Howdy,

Been riding various bikes since ~1965. I've seen 43 of the lower 48 on various Suzuki bikes. (rented a Harley in Maui). Current ride is a 2002 Suzuki Volusia VL800, windshield, floorboards, heel/toe shifter, LeatheLyke bags.

Thinking about replacing the Volusia with a 950T - at my age, it will probably be the last bike I'll own.

So - tell me why I should (or maybe should not get this new bike). If I spring for it, I think I'd add the engine guard, and saddlebag guards.

Sat on one last week - liked the low saddle (I've got short legs), but the floor boards seemed sort of far forward compared to my Volusia.

Dave
Westerville, OHIO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. why should you get the 950? because i endorse it. it's pretty much the best invention since the wheel. and this one has 2 of them. that's just science. it's got more power than your current ride but is nimble enough that it feels like a lighter bike than it really is. it's very stable and responsive. EFI, belt drive, cast wheels, 2 of them, air cooled, enough power for 2, more and more companies are making aftermarket parts for it, low profile and seat height, low comparable price, dependable Yamaha engine, automatic envy of your friends and loved ones, free 1st class upgrades on all major airlines, and the list goes on. so the better question would be "why NOT get the 950?"

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Kel

I've got a 950 and I love it! Of course I may be partial cuz it is my first bike.....
I would say if you do get one, replace the seat with something a whole crap load more comfortable. The stock seats on the 950 are a nightmare in my opinion. Other than that it is a great bike. Reliable, enough power to have fun with but not tempt Death (too much), a clean look that will turn heads and get approving looks (even frobm Harley guys who forget for a split second that anything less than a Harley is laughable...even though ours are more reliable and handle a whole heck of a lot better...), add to that a low depreciation of value I'm case you want to sell it later down the road and perhaps upgrade to your last ”last” bike

Last edited by Kel; 05-20-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldddguy View Post
Howdy,

Been riding various bikes since ~1965. I've seen 43 of the lower 48 on various Suzuki bikes. (rented a Harley in Maui). Current ride is a 2002 Suzuki Volusia VL800, windshield, floorboards, heel/toe shifter, LeatheLyke bags.

Thinking about replacing the Volusia with a 950T - at my age, it will probably be the last bike I'll own.

So - tell me why I should (or maybe should not get this new bike). If I spring for it, I think I'd add the engine guard, and saddlebag guards.

Sat on one last week - liked the low saddle (I've got short legs), but the floor boards seemed sort of far forward compared to my Volusia.

Dave
Westerville, OHIO
I agree, the 950T is a great bike to own! I enjoyed mine and wish I still owned it as another bike to have. (went Stratoliner) I never went on a super long trip, but it would of handled it no problem, Go for it all around good bike. Enjoy

Ride On Top

Levi

Street:
2009 Yamaha Stratoliner S
2009 Yamaha 950 Tour

Off Road:
225 TTR Yamaha
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Bought an 09 new in March 2011. Great bike. Very nimble in town, cruises 70-80 no problem with some left. 2-up no problem. 50 mpg. I'm 5'6" and floorboards are no problem. Cruise 300-400 miles no problem. Currently 11,000 miles and still on stock seat.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
add to that a low depreciation of value I'm case you want to sell it later down the road
not true, though tough to say at the moment since the first model is only an '09 so not many used ones out there for sale. but new leftover 950s are selling for about 20% less than the current year model in dealerships. so used ones will be even less. i'd say resell value is on par with other production bikes.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM

More storage and more power. I traded my Boulevard 800 for the 950T and it's hands down an upgrade. Handles beautifully on highways and back roads.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

2009 V Star 950 Tourer
Priors include 2005 Suzuki Boulevard 800
1981 Yamaha 750 Virago
1979 Honda 400 Hawk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

If the bike fits you ergonomically and has enough power and you like
The looks then by all means get it. You will be glad you did and will have
no regrets.

Jack Schade
2009 Roadstar Silverado
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Lots of encouraging comments so far. I test rode a 950T yesterday. Lots more power than my VL800. I really don't NEED the 'more power' since I ride solo and frequently see my speedometer above 90. (Please don't tell my wife.) Liked the one inch lower saddle, nice bags. The windshield was about right for me. No head buffeting. It took a little time to get used to this h/t shifter - been using h/t shifter since around 1986.

Some the things bevo1981 said sound like "Texas Tall Tales". " free 1st class upgrades on all major airlines "

Cass2514, we are about the same height - so I appreciate you comments.

Maggie - thanks for the Suzuki 800 vs 950T comparison. How about a comparison between stock Boulevard saddle vs 950 saddle. I never though the VL800 saddle was uncomfortable. Were you ever on the volusiariders,com forum?

How about engine guards and bag guards? Anybody add those? I thought I might want lowers on the windshield, but after the test ride I decided they weren't needed.

The 950 is certainly strong enough for travel. You don't have to have a big bike to travel! (I did a 6000 mile Ohio-Salt Lake City-Grand Canyon-Ohio trip on a 380cc, 3 cylinder, 2 stroke, oil injected bike back in '76 when I was younger & dumber. My wife & I rode a Suzuki GS650GL from Ohio to Yellowstone and back 26 years ago. We went to Rhode Island on a Suzuki Cavalcade - 1360cc -about 22 years ago. That bike was nice, but too heavy and not a lot of fun.)

As I said, at my age, this will probably be my last bike until I down size to a mobility scooter someday. I'm thinking I'll get to the dealer this week or next and get the 950.

Thanks for the comments - keep them coming.

Dave,
Westerville, Ohio
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 PM

If I had to choose, I'd say my 2005 Boulevard saddle was slightly more comfy, but did a 7.5 hr ride yesterday fr Ottawa to London on my 09 950T and my butt survived. I get better mileage on this bike - bonus! No, never bothered with the forums before - that was more my hubby's thing but he has a Honda ST so told me it's time I get on the Yamaha forums myself. I actually listened to him for a change. Glad I did - this forum has a lot of good info!
I have the engine guards and saddle bag guards on order, along with a few other goodies. It should all be here Tuesday!
Ride safe.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

2009 V Star 950 Tourer
Priors include 2005 Suzuki Boulevard 800
1981 Yamaha 750 Virago
1979 Honda 400 Hawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode