Star 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Star 1100

I'm looking to buy an 1100 2007 or 2008. what is the good, the bad or the otherwise? Is there some thing in particular to look for. One bike has 3700 miles and the other has just over 5000. I'm thinking a set of tires on either one to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. The 1100 is one solid bike and will give you a perma grin like you wouldn't believe. The bikes you're talking about have real low mileage so I wouldn't worry to much about anything being or going wrong on them for a good long while. A few things I would do are, change all the fluids including the brake fluids. You mentioned the tires and also have a look at the brakes; they should be fine but it's a quick check to do. Now that you have my 2 cents worth you'll need to post a few pics of your new acquisition once you get it.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yes, a fluid change is on the list. I can do with a grin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 10:50 PM
eGo

I bought my 99' and all I did was clean the carbs, new brake pads and she's been good to go. Tires are going to have to be replaced soon though. Hoping I can get them bought/installed and have the final drive serviced at the same time without breaking the bank. Hope you find joy in whichever bike you pick.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:59 AM

Well, I bought one with 3300 on it last fall. An 08. Good lookin bike. It now has 6500 on it so I've ridden it a few miles. Bone stock.

Like,
-Looks
-Very light, easy to move around
-reasonably good aftermarket
-Fairly reliable based on reports
-Very quiet
- Very inexpensive entry fee

Dont like:
-Stock seat is large, but is a 100 mile seat
-I find myself cramped at 5'6" on it, especially when using foot brake.
-MPG =39-41 mpg. Cruising range 95-105 miles, then reserve.
-Valve adjustments every 4K miles
-Rear stock Dunlop tire nearly bald at 6500 miles
-Right side of motorcycle requires removal (including front jug header) for a simple oil filter change
-Mine has a loud engine knock which I havent figured out yet and am going to have looked at. But thats just mine...I think ??
-A pain to work on.

I'd recommend the oil filter relocation kit if you do your own oil / filter changes. Having said all of that if money is tight the 1100 is not a bad value at all as a first bike for a beginner, or as a back-up bike for a long rider. But if you are a take it to the dealer for basic service type of owner, the cost of ownership will be on the high side.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome and the responses.
I went to a local dealer to test ride a used 1100. They wanted way too much and trying to test ride was like pulling teeth, so no ride. Looked at and bought a 2007 1300 for less money. I'll drive out Monday and ride it home. I am very anxious for Monday. Two of my boys were with me. They both ride, one is an auto tech so that helped. One rides a Honda VTX1800. He was impressed with the ride and handling. It didn't feel much heavier than my Vulcan750. And, most of that was probably nerves.

ALR383 F.O.CA
VFW Rider Group NEVADA
CMA
PGR
Old Marine
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1100 View Post
Thanks for the welcome and the responses.
I went to a local dealer to test ride a used 1100. They wanted way too much and trying to test ride was like pulling teeth, so no ride. Looked at and bought a 2007 1300 for less money. I'll drive out Monday and ride it home. I am very anxious for Monday. Two of my boys were with me. They both ride, one is an auto tech so that helped. One rides a Honda VTX1800. He was impressed with the ride and handling. It didn't feel much heavier than my Vulcan750. And, most of that was probably nerves.
Congrats on your new ride, sir. Good call, the 1100 really just isn't a very enjoyable bike. Way too much maintenance as well and it is a total pain to work on. You'll be much better off with the 1300, or any other brand of motorcycle. Hopefully.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode