1st bike selection - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Smile 1st bike selection

I have been riding a 500cc scooter one year and am ready to move up. I'm deciding between a Star 1300 Tour and a Honda Stateline 1300. Really like the Honda but the design has harder low speed steering. The Star is beautiful too, and looks like it will steer easier with the lower rake and 4# shorter wheelbase. Any comments will be welcome. I want to get this done! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM

The star line of bikes is by far the best of the japanese bikes. Too much plastic crap on the hondas. I will agree that some of their bikes are very nice looking, but too cheap on some of the parts. The fury has all plastic body work other than the tank and the rocker covers are plastic too. Just couldn't stomach buying a cruiser that has more plastic than a sport bike. hope this helps make your decision easier.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Hi htmnkylve - thanks for the reply. I think I agree with you. Everything I'm reading/hearing suggests the Honda Stateline is not very agile at low speed and in tight manuevers. I think the Star will be more appropriate for a first bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. the honda is a reliable bike, but so is a Yamaha. and Yamaha bikes just look a whole lot cooler. i think you'll have more fun with a Yamaha, not that i'm biased or anything, being a Yamaha owner and posting on a Yamaha site. Yamaha

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Banned

Welcome to the 4M.
You have narrowed your choice down to these two bikes yet they are very different types of rides. It must be hard to compare a tourer with a fairly light weight cruiser to begin with. Total weight and weight distribution will play as much a role in low speed manuvering as the length of the wheelbase. The only way you can be sure is to take them both for a test ride. Some dealers allow it, some don't,,,most don't. The Yamaha will be more comfortable with a passenger on the back. The Yamaha is a belt drive, the Honda is a shaft drive. My only negative comment on the Honda is that she is a beauty in looks and style as you scan the bike from the front wheel back to the where the pipes enter the mufflers. From there back, she gets ugly, mufflers are boring and the rear fender is too boxy looking. The front end just doesn't seem to belong with the back end.

Now, that being said, there is a Stateline Bagger concept bike which makes all my above comments null and void. I wonder if/when and how similar Honda would consider a production line of Stateline baggers...

Last edited by stratowart; 06-08-2012 at 07:01 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:04 PM

Garage
That bike would make me definetely change my colour preference

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode