Hello From San Antonio Tx - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Hello From San Antonio Tx

New to the forum have been looking at the Road Stars for some time now. Just started looking at the Roadliners and Stratoliners. Currently I am riding a 1988 Honda Goldwing. Wonderful bike but I have been chasing an electrical issue for months now and have lost all faith in the bike. Time to pull the trigger but I have some questions about the Yamaha's. First do the Liners have cruise control? I have heard that changing the oil can be challeging. Where is the battery located? I was crawling around on the floor at the local dealership and I guess they thought I had a heart attack because some one was calling 911. I just told them that I was looking the bike over. They asked me to leave. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Welcome to the forum, Oldguys. You'll find the info you're looking for here.

I don't know a whole lot of details about the Liner family, but my first piece of advice would be to find another dealership.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. As for the dealership they are just the closest to my house. I would buy and deal with another across town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Welcome to the 4M, and yes "we" do rule!

The Liner's do not come with a factory installed Cruise Control, electronic or otherwise.

The battery is directly under the seat, it sets just below a mass of wires and the ECU but those are easy to move out of the way to gain access to it.

The oil change is hard the first time and then you quickly learn what to do differently come the next oil change after the break-in change. There are several tips on here about how to change the oil but all address one common thing, getting room under the bike to be able to swing the 17mm wrench. Oh and there are a total of three, yes three, drain plugs.

And the HD dealer's are more prepared for shoppers having heart attacks, some refer to it as sticker shock LOL

Last edited by stratowart; 06-14-2012 at 01:47 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I have size 15 fangers, as we say in Texas, so gettin' anywhere is tight. The Honda Goldwing has issues aswell so issues I am use to. What I like about the Yamaha's is air cooled, belt driven and fuel injected. Also I like that you don't have to dismantle half the bike to do something that takes you 10 minutes to do. Not raggin' on the GW but I like to work on my own bikes and the wings make it very challenging. Any thing I should look for when buying a "Used" sorry "Pre-Owned" bike?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM

Stratowart pretty much summed it up.. Welcome to the forum great forum tons of info and great people! You cannot go wrong with a Yamaha cruiser, funny story i went to my local yamaha dealership we got into a convo about the motor and he said hes never even had a chance to look inside or even see the crank theyre bullet proof! lol

15 GRAND AND 15 MILES DOES'NT MAKE YOU A BIKER.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/61008833/Y...Service-Manual - A must for everyone the holy service manual..

*II[BLUE BIKE CLUB]II*

PAY UP
$$$$$
SUCKER
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting once you get it.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

they asked you to leave? that's hilarious. good job on doing your research. would like to see how you pick out fruit and vegetables at the supermarket

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode