Hello - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Hello

Hi all -

Just joined this forum as a way to learn more about my bike & share info. I ride a 1999 V Star 650 Classic. I'm the 2nd owner, purchased it back in 2000 with about ~600 miles on it when i traded in my rice rocket.

Original owner replaced the exhaust w/ straight pipes & added a small wind screen. Bike ran poorly, was embarrassingly loud, & would backfire whenever you backed off on the throttle as there was no no back pressure.

I tossed the windscreen & purchased a set of baffles from a parts catalog. Of course, the OD had to be slightly turned down to fit the pipes so I skim cut them on the lathe at work until they slipped in. Ran much better and eliminated 99% of the backfires. Decibel level down to a pleasant (and legal) level but still sounds "aggressive". Added saddle bags too.

After that, I stripped the body work off as the original factory black paint was poor in my opinion. My brother (who works auto body) repainted with a custom-mixed maroon red topped with some blue pearl.

The bike was that way for many years & trouble free. About 3 years ago, decided to repaint again - this time I chose medium metallic blue from a 2005 Mazda 5. Also added heated hand grips and highway bars. Hand grips are awesome as I love to ride on long cool fall foliage tours. Learned the hard way to wire then in using the 5 amp keyed/fused circuit for the horn, not hardwired to the battery.

What really brought me here is my search for info on my rear axel. Picked up 3 (unbelievably) roofing nails in the rear tire at end of last season. Made it home safely & wasn't too upset as the rear was well worn & in need to replacing anyway. Fast forward to today...

Purchased new tire, pulled the rear wheel off, and took to local deal to mount & balance. Dealer cals back & says they can do the job as the hub is cracked on left (final drive) side. Sure enough it had a small crack when I picked it up.

Cost of new parts was ridiculous so I searched the net & purchased a whole replacement rear wheel from a salvage yard in NH. Opened the box to find it was in perfect condition - true, dent free, good bearings - chrome only need little polish. I was happy... Took new wheel & tire to different dealer (yamaha authorized this time) & got it mounted & balanced.

Now the dilemma - I can't reinstall it as the width of the wheel hub or distance between the bearings seems smaller than the original wheel. I can slip the final drive into position, get the whole assembly back on the bike, alignment between the face of the drive mechanism & wheel hub is fairly good (didn't check w/ feeler gages), tighten the 4 bolts to mount the final drive to the swing arm, but the axle bolt will just crush the drive into the wheel hub causing the wheel t seize up long before any real torque can be applied.

Hopefully someone can help this poor new forum member. I've only ride 52 miles all year...

Zanderk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Cool

If anyone out there has more info, my situation seems to be exactly like the post titled "VSTAR 650 Custom Rear Axel Bolt Torquing?" posted by Jon_Ov_Long _Hair on 4/28/2015... I searched the V Star section & his descriptions & photos are exactly like what I'm experiencing.

Someone replied & said to look up the parts diagram & check the spacers. I did that & see a spacer (shown as part 2 on the diagram I looked at) that runs through the wheel hub. Is this the part?

I see how the length of the spacer between the bearings on my original wheel could potentially be longer than the spacer inside my replacement wheel & that could be a source of my issue.

Anyone with more info, please help! I'm itching to fix this issue & get the bike back on the road.

Zanderk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

be sure to ask in the V Star section here

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:28 PM

Welcome to the forum from Highlands, TX.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks Texas -

This forum is great place for info from what I'm finding. Good feedback to my other post on the V Star section regarding my issue with the rear axel. Haven't solved the issue yet but hopefully my persistence & the aid of folks here, I'll get back on the road soon!

I'm update NY, a few miles outside of Albany. I should have mentioned that in my original introduction I guess. Might be helpful in finding other V Star owners near me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode