Greetings from Maine - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Greetings from Maine

Hey, folks! I'm brand new to the forum, and brand new to riding. Took the BRC this summer because I've always been pragmatic, and thought it was time to do something for ME. I anticipated buying a cheap beater bike (lots of old Suzukis from the early '80's out there for a few hundred dollars!), but after a couple of months on Craigslist, I kept coming back to an 02 VStar 650 with 12k miles on it. After riding it I wasn't sure, but I made an offer a couple of weeks later.

I was unsure initially, as it seems there are a lot of VStar 650 haters out there. I have to say, I could not be happier with it. As a guy that weighs 250 lbs and commutes I95 at 75 mph, I anticipated a bike that would be too small for the highway, and too big for town. Now, I don't have a lot of bike experience, but the thing seems to fit ME like a glove...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Garage
Hi fF, welcome to the forum. Nice intro cept' no pic's of that 650 you speak of, we love pic's here.
We have several 650 members here, and they're great bikes. If yours fits you well, then ride on and enjoy!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

OK...Keith, here's the pic...

My bike is pretty modest compared to what I have seen, so I wasn't going to include a pic. But here it is. Previous owner changed the rearview mirrors, added a cheap sissy and added some louder pipes. I have the original pipes, and was planning on swapping them out, but the pipes he added aren't so loud that my neighbors complain...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike R.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	48281  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 12:47 PM

Greetings and welcome from southwestern PA. Nice ride. And yes the 650 is a great bike to start on. But you may acquire cc-itis down the road, and that's okay too. Happens to the best of us. Especially if you wanna ride 2-up for any distance. Good luck and congrats on yer new ride.

Sonysnek
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnek View Post
Greetings and welcome from southwestern PA. Nice ride. And yes the 650 is a great bike to start on. But you may acquire cc-itis down the road, and that's okay too. Happens to the best of us. Especially if you wanna ride 2-up for any distance. Good luck and congrats on yer new ride.
Thanks, Sonysnek! I have heard about that "cc-itis." What I'm curious about is this: As I believe most bikes with the larger engines (and I think that moving up from a 650, I would probably bypass anything 800-ish and below) come with a larger frame, would I THEN want a smaller bike for scooting around town? For sake of understanding, I live in a town that doesn't have a traffic light. We employ one traffic cop in the busiest intersection at rush hour. I like that my 650 is easy to man-handle for short trips. Granted, at my size that's not saying too much.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:45 PM

Garage
Clean looking ride, thanks for sharing the pic.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Garage
Your bike fits you like a glove? Well then, who cares what the haters think? You've already got your joy. As far as ccitus, I'm up onto an 1100 now, and I started on a Suzuki GS550L. If you're used to the 650 Star I really don't think you'll have any around town issues. I'm 225# at 5'10" and have no issues throwing mine around corners. Just have to go slower around the tight ones lol. Nice looking ride you have there, keep the shiny side up and welcome to the bliss!

2000 V-Star 1100 Classic
600w Amplified Stereo
USB Charge Ports
Hard Leather Saddlebags
Mustang Vintage Two Piece Saddle
Chrome Engine Guard
Puyallup, Washington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode