I'm Considering Buying A Stratoliner... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

I'm Considering Buying A Stratoliner...

Hi, I may not ever own a Yamaha, but my Fatboy needs to be upgraded, and I was thinking about the Statroliner.

I bought my Harley brand new in 2000, but I'd like a fairing, radio, saddlebags and my chrome is pitting, so maybe it's time to shop around.

I demo rode a Victory Touring, and it was OK, but the dealer/shop manager yelled at me big time for going for a 75 minute test ride, so I'll never buy anything there. I even called his manager twice, and never got a call back. They were having a demo day, and I returned 1 hour BEFORE closing time. It really upset the rest of my day.

In any case, I was perusing CL, and there's a few leftover 2010's for $11,000. I think my Fatboy is worth close to 10, so we'll see if it sells privately. The HD dealer offered me $7200 (book value) against a Police bike they had on the floor, but I didn't like the color.

Or I'll keep my FB and do the 6 speed, saddlebags and fairing. That'll cost $4,000, that's why I thought it better to trade to a newer bike, with the stuff I want already installed

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2358 (Small).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2004   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2351 (Small).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2005   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2519 (Small).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2006   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2524 (Small).JPG
Views:	87
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2007   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2530 (Small).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2008  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 AM

One reason I didn't go HD. I hated hearing "crappy bike, got trouble, it's old, high mileage, oh and it's worth $10 grand!!!".

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. how long were you supposed to take for a demo ride?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. There's a few guys around here who kind of like their Stratoliners, so I'm sure they'll point out what a good idea a Star is.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayelwin View Post
One reason I didn't go HD. I hated hearing "crappy bike, got trouble, it's old, high mileage, oh and it's worth $10 grand!!!".
Yup, Craigslist is always good for a chuckle that way.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

The manager suggested a 15 minute route, but I took it as a suggestion, and the day was beuteeful, and I was getting into the bike, and I don't think you can get a feel for anything in a 10-15-20 minute ride. Maybe a shopping cart, but not a $20,000 machine.... Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
howdy. how long were you supposed to take for a demo ride?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Banned

I've had many bikes in my past, but never a HD, and now own a Strato-S and will keep this until it's time to meet my maker.

I took advantage of an invitation to test ride a Stratoliner promo by Yamaha late summer 2005. As it worked out, my Warrior was going in for a recall (TPS upgrade) and my dealer was also one participating in the promo, so I scheduled them both on the same day....5 years later, I got me one.

Last edited by stratowart; 07-02-2012 at 01:37 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Well for what its worth, I have been riding for 25 years and have had numerous bikes. I have had my Strat for almost a year now. I have put 15K miles on it in that time, so I would say I am qualified to give you my 2 cents worth about this lovely machine.
It is first of all, a beautiful bike. I get comments on it all the time and mine is basically stock. It is very well balanced and rides really smooth for a bike that weighs around 800lbs. With the 1900cc it has more than enough torque to get you where you need to get quite quickly. It is comfortable as it is stock, with a custom seat you can ride for hours without getting numbbutt syndrome. Gas milage, for me, ranges between 40 and 50 but I average around 42mpg. My biggest complaint with the Strat is I wish it had a larger tank, other than that I am totally pleased with it.

There are pleanty others that will gladly share their thoughts as well, but everything I have heard is that Strat owners are happy with their bikes.

Good luck on getthing the info you need to make the jump over to a Strat but I would most definatly take one for a spin first, if you do, you will fall in love.

'09 Strat-S Blue' Or as my wife calls her, "The Mistress".

Proud member of the
BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thx BigBad... My local Yam HD dealer was explicit... around the block test ride. So I'll shop/buy it wherever they let me go for an hour or so. I'm not doing it for the thrill. I can do that on my Fatboy...

The Victory felt good, lite and balanced, more so than my FB, I believe. But it was no powerhouse, tho that's hard to feel by "seat of the pants". It wouldn't do anything below +-1700 RPM, but my FB doesn't have a tach, so I can't compare.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Truk.....by all means get the Strat! For a big bike it is extremely well mannered from idle to WOT! Love mine.

🇺🇸 Ride your own ride. 🇺🇸

'07 Stratoliner Quicksilver in color. Bone stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode