New to me 08 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New to me 08 1300

Hello all, I just picked up an 08 1300 V Star last month and have been riding it every chance I get since it's a blast to ride! I previously rode a Nighthawk 650, pretty big difference in performance...I really like the feel of the V Star. The previous owner had a low speed slide out, so there's some cosmetic damage (saddle bag, tank, windshield frame), but nothing structurally wrong with the bike. However, I just did an all day 400 mile ride last Sunday, the ride was great but my throttle hand was getting numb after awhile. I'm 6'1", so I don't lean forward too much, but I'm thinking an upgrade to RSTD's might be the answer? I also get a lot of head buffeting at 60+ mph, so lowers and maybe tilting the windshield back a little might be the answer to that issue as well? Anyway, with the riding season coming to a close fairly soon (I'm in MN), I'm looking forward to a few more long weekend rides while I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-05 09.57.03.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	50201   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-05 09.57.10.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	50209   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-05 09.57.15.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	50217  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:46 PM

Garage
If your throttle hand is getting sore try the Kuryakyn ISO grips with a throttle boss. Allows you to just rest your hand on the throttle while maintaining speed. You could also try one of the cruise controls that are available. I prefer the ISO over any cruise control but that's just my personal preference.
ceanderson and ceanderson like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

and please take our census

which yammy ya got? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

be sure to ask in the V Star section here

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:08 PM

Garage
Hi and welcome to the forum. Definitely try the kuryakyn grips as BK recommended. Lowers and a little taller windshield may help. At 6' 1" in height, it would seem the wind would be hitting you in the chest with the short windshield from your pics. Just a suggestion though. Keep us updated and ride safely.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 AM

Heard lots of good reviews about Kuryakin, definitely worth a try. Update us what you have decided.

2006 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:13 AM
gl3

Welcome I ride an 08 1300 touring also. I installed lowers-helps a little on the wind issue. The bike is a solid cruiser.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:20 AM

Welcome from Waldorf MD! I use the Kuryakyn grips too and glad I made the change from the stock ones.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I thank you all for your help, I've ordered the Kuryakyn grips via Amazon, so they should be here in time for me to install them and be ready for the weekend. I'm going to wait on the throttle boss for the moment, want to see how well the grips do before making more changes. My windshield is 17" (Cee Baily), and I do like looking over the shield rather than through, so maybe going to 21" might be the trick. The windshield frame on the right side however is slightly bent towards the fork, leaving only a two finger gap between the brake line and the shield (as opposed to a four finger gap like it should be) (see pics below). If I wanted to apply pressure and force the frame back into position (via cloth covered large screwdriver), is the frames metal strong enough to take it? Wouldn't want to crack it if it isn't strong enough, make sense? Again, I appreciate all the input!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leftFrame.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	50465   Click image for larger version

Name:	rightFrame.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	50473  

Last edited by ceanderson; 10-19-2015 at 09:44 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:35 PM

Garage
Keep us updated, and just go slow bending the frame back in shape. You're gonna enjoy the grips after you install them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:42 PM

Welcome from southweastern PA. Congrats on yer new ride. The boo boo's don't make them ride any better or worse so just enjoy the ride till you feel the need to upgrade. And like Keith said, if you take your time and go easy, you should be able to bend that back into shape. Try putting it into a vise if you have access to one. Use some pieces of wood to protect the finish and soft faced hammer.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode