Bike Owner Next Week - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Bike Owner Next Week

Hi. I really like the layout and look of this forum. I'm quite excited at this time because I ordered a new 2009 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic a couple of days ago and should have it early next week. Of course, only two colour choices so I chose the bluish silver. I like the pictures of it and, around here it will be different, to say the least. Most bikes are either red, blue or black. Did I make a good choice?

I had motorcycles years ago and always said I would have another one when I reached 60. Well, that was only 5 days ago. Finally got permission from the better half to do so. (As if I needed it!!)

I haven't driven a bike for 30 years so, it will be like starting all over again. When I pick it up...it's going to be a parking lot for some practice...the four ssss's I call it: starting, stopping, shifting and swerving. Then to a side street. When one is available, I'm also taking a refresher course. I know you would agree that is a smart idea. But, in the interim...I'm gonna be careful and just like a little kid walking through a cemetery at night with some of those monster four wheel drivers out there who think they own the road and motorcyclists are second-hand users of the road. I'm sure you all know a lot of them.

I have a car so I'll only be using it for commuting to work, trips mostly on secondary roads along the ocean which we have a lot of here. Very rarely will I be using expressways or whatever so I thought the 650 was plenty of bike for me.

Thanks and I look forward to reading your posts and you can be sure I'll be asking for guidance and advice as I enter my second childhood!! (Actually, I haven't had my first old age yet - lol)

Thanks

Last edited by pianoman8849; 08-13-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Hi. I now have my bike and have been driving it for about two weeks now. I love the V-Star Classic 650 and I think I've bought the right one. I won't be doing much expressway driving, if any at all, just secondary highways and around the city so the 650 does fill the bill for me.

I'm already getting the knack of driving back again. Thirty-five years not driving a bike is a long time and I'm taking it easy and that is paying off. Going to different places and I've just been to the downtown of Halifax in peak traffic and had no problem at all.

When a refresher course becomes available, I'll take it. Probably not until next year here. The next thing I'll be thinking about is winter storage and what to do. I've already arranged to keep the bike in climate controlled storage so perhaps I don't have to go through every little step that one has to do when storing in a cold shed, for example.

I'll probably have questions on that subject later. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode