Thinking about.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about....

Getting a V-Star so I came here for some info!
Hey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM

We got LOTS of info here

. . . and some of it may actually be correct

Welcome aboard . . . i think/hope

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

OK cool so here are my questions....Is 650 big enough to tour two up on? Is the fact that the V-Star is so darn ez to pick up off the kick stand common knowledge? I've owned Harleys for the last 31 years and now two months with no bike..going crazy. Not as strong nor willing to go into debt any more. Looking at 1100's 2002-2005 models. Does a 2005 V-Star 1100 with 30K in miles have a lot of life left? No experience with shaft drive. Last Harley was an Ultra Classic that someone offered me too much $ to say no to. I've rode them all from Sportsters to Dressers and have nothing to prove any more so willing to be one of those "sidewalk commandos" who owns over a 100 HD T-shirts riding metric with no debt. My how priorities change over the years! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 PM

Rider, lots of questions there. 650 can do 2 up, but it's not what you'd want to do for a long time, but a quick ride? Sure. Then you start asking about 1100's skipping the 950(greatest bike ever). The 1100 can certainly do 2 up and 30k mileage is one of those, if well cared for and maintained its fine, if not then maybe not. Long highway miles are better than 30000 city miles.

Welcome to the group. Look at each individual bikes forum for more on each. Enjoy your search. You will be happy with a star bike for lots of good mechanical reasons and lots of $ reasons as well. Although the customizing can have you spend plenty of $

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2009 Yamaha Vstar 950
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Second everything Yhv5 said, with a slight spin on the 30,000 mile question.
There is a such a glut of V-star 650's and 1100's with nothing but "hardly broken in" miles that it must be driving the current Yammy corporate guidence crazy.
There were just too many people who "thought" they would like to ride motorcycles, and then found out that they really didn't have any interest after all.

This being the case, seriously, why would you consider a machine with someone else's 30K already on it when you can easily pick up a tricked out,
loaded and dressed machine with less than 5K in the $3800 to $4500 range if you watch CL for a few weeks?

That's the situation out there with the used 1100s.

The tricked out 650s can be easily had for $3000.
Take that from personal experience (my avitar).
Since you're already used to big bores, you should go for the 1100s or you'll be wishing you had 2 weeks down the road.

'03 650 Custom and '95 Cherry 250 Virago:
Kuryakyn Flame Grips. Chrome Covers.
Bullets w' 6.5W 350LM LED Bulbs.
Relocated Rear Signals.
Padded Sissy Bars and Luggage Racks

650:
Lowered. Jardine Rumblers.
Re-Jetted. Corbin Stinger Seat.
Mustang Tank Strap. Large Inspire Bags.
Yamaha OEM Windshield. Purple LEDs.

Virago:
Chrome Tank and Fender Trim. Eagle Embossed Fork Bag.
Classic Windshield. Mutazu LN Hard Bags w' Lights.

soloowners.net
srkowners.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 PM

I would definitely go bigger than a 650 if i was thinking of doing a lot of 2 up riding. hmm . . . unless of course my wife and i were 3' tall & 60lbs each

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

howdy

go bigger than 650. if you want a VStar for touring 2 up, it's the least powerful cruiser Yamaha makes. and don't look for a bike with 30K miles on it because there are plenty of used ones out there with just a few thousand miles on them. and don't forget about the 950. you could probably find a used one for about $4K. and since '09 is the first year they made it, it's not going to be old.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
SSC

Yeah im in the same boat although if I could get a harley that dident break and cost the same as the star I might get another one. 1100 is fine for 2 up touring id not get a used bike with 30k on it unless it were a gold wing you know those are cared for. Engine wise from what I've read these can go 100k with no problems. As for as the 950 the security guard we use to have at work got one seemed much smaller frame then my 1100 and isn't as comfortable imo its more of a putt around 1 day tripper then anything. Of course I would not want to take mince cross country either lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Motorcycle.com Free App

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC View Post
As for as the 950 the security guard we use to have at work got one seemed much smaller frame then my 1100 and isn't as comfortable imo its more of a putt around 1 day tripper then anything.
Nope.

Look up the specs and you'll see that the 950 is physically larger than the 1100 in terms of length (except for the fenders on the classic), width and wheelbase. I've sat on both, and the 1100 feels almost exactly the same as my girlfriend's 650, which rides like a small bike.

The 950 has smaller displacement than the 1100 (by a whopping 121 cc! ), but the fuel injection and belt drive put it on an equal footing in terms of performance.

As for touring comfort, with my windshield attached, I'd ride this thing cross-country.

Edit: Your introduction thread seems to have been hijacked by this debate. Sorry to contribute. Anyway, welcome aboard!!

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Caliente Pocket; 07-24-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Thread hijack.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:27 AM
SSC

I will ha e to take Your word for it im in 3g hell lol. His bike looked and felt smaller never pulled up any real specs. I do like the lines of the 950 but I've had belts break on my harley one no issue the other came slamming to a stop.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Motorcycle.com Free App

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode