Second Yamaha - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Second Yamaha

Hello! My name is Genghis and I live in Central California. I just picked up a 2006 VStar 1100 Silverado with 25k miles on it. I replaced the stock bars with 10" rize z-bars, took off the internal bar heaters and replaced them with external heaters and rewired them to work with the Oxford Intelligent Heat Controller I just purchased. Over the heaters are my rubber/chrome flame grips. I also put on LED lighting in my front fender and all around my bike. I added a car horn to the existing air horn to make myself more noticeable when needed.

As for myself, I've been riding since I was 16, but consistently for the last 20 years. My first bike was a Yamaha XT200 enduro which was a blast. Then I had a Suzuki Savage 650 which i rode until a garage messed it up. I replaced that with an 86 Suzuki Intruder 750 which I customized with oak veneer and customer seating. When that died, I picked up a 2004 Suzuki SV650S in 2008 which I customized for sport touring. I bought that bike with 20k miles on it and it now has 100,236 miles on it! I just recently picked up my VStar 1100 because I need a more upright position now that I'm older. I love this bike but I have to constantly remind myself that I can't lean or turn as fast as I can on my SV...lol.

I always said that if I were to go back to a cruiser, I would pick up a Suzuki or Yamaha and I am so glad I got the Yamaha. This bike runs great! It already had the oil filter relocation mod done as well as K&N air pod mod. It also has the Mustang seats so everything I was thinking I would have to do to it has already been done.

I'm looking forward to learning more about my bike and seeing everyone else's. Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:14 PM

Welcome to the forum from Highlands, TX. Let's see some pictures
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I just put some pics in my profile. I'll get more recent ones up soon. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

and please take our census

which yammy ya got? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 02:38 PM

Welcome from southwestern PA. Nice ride ya got there. I have the same air filter on mine. Just got a set of 16" apes for it but still need to get all the cables and such to get them mounted. Good to have ya aboard.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 07:22 PM

Garage
Hi and welcome. Looking forward to seeing the pic's of your ride and your contributions. We have quite a few 1100 members here, and everyone is willing to help each other out. Ride safely!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah...the funny thing is that air cleaner is just for looks. The PO did K&N pods under the tank and converted the air cleaner to a stebel air horn. I put a stebel electric horn up front above my oil filter to make myself more noticeable. The air cleaner cover muffled the air horn so I drilled a hole pattern where the sound comes out. I did that before I had the better idea of adding the second horn. I'll post more pics this weekend when I have more time.

I'm looking forward to learning more tips and tricks and hopefully giving some back. I come from an automotive manufacturing background so I'm quite adept at modifying and making things instead of buying them.

My next small project is converting my fog lights to LED. I already ordered LED bulbs for my front turn signals. I'm also going to install a brake light flasher I bought and built for my other bike. I need to get my power consumption down. I've killed my battery three times leaving my grip heaters on before I put the smart controller on. So a new lithium battery is coming after new years. With my LED accents, fog lights and heated grips I'm suckling too much power.

Thanks for the great welcome!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:17 AM

Welcome to the 4m! Can't wait to see some pics of your ride

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode