Thinking about buying a V-Star... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about buying a V-Star...

New guy here, just making my introductory thread but also seeking a little info and advice at the same time. Currently riding an '07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. Bought it a couple months ago without doing much research and found it wasn't much for 2-up much longer than an hour. 3 weeks after I bought it, my Dad bought an '05 V-star 1100 which I like much better on the highway.

Fast forward, looking at buying an '08 V-Star 1300 Tourer with 4500 miles for $4k. Found one on CL with only a small dent in the gas tank. My first question is, this is a good deal right? I know it is according to KBB and NADA but I like to have others confirm it. Also, when I go to look at the bike...is there anything that tends to be problematic with this bike that I should be on the lookout for? He did have Cobra drags on it but they started to blue so he took them off and reset the fuel back to stock. Any ideas or heads up things would be VERY appreciated.

With my Dad riding a Star and my Father-in-Law with 70k+ on his V-Star 650...it's probably just time for me to join in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Jump ship and come on over to the V Star family!

🇺🇸 Ride your own ride. 🇺🇸

'07 Stratoliner Quicksilver in color. Bone stock.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm planning on it but I'm looking for some advice on anything I should make sure to inspect on this new bike. Do you (or any others) have any input on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 PM

The bike sounds OK, but you might want to take it to a reparable shop you trust and have a once over, it might cost a few hundred, but it would be worth it in the long run and a good peace of mind on the LOOOOONG ride you can enjoy and do on that bike You say your Dad and father in-law have Yamahas, see what they think!! TAKE THE JUMP to the Star!!!

Ride On Top

Levi

Street:
2009 Yamaha Stratoliner S
2009 Yamaha 950 Tour

Off Road:
225 TTR Yamaha
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 AM

I would jump on that deal if I were in the market. The only thing I don't like about the 1300 is it feels a little top heavy to me. But that is to me! Fitting a bike is a personal thing that is very important. Don't get one because it looks good. Make sure it feels good. I love my 1100 Classic. It has always felt right to me. I have 3 friends with 1300's and one of them is a girl. They all like them.

2003 1100 Classic Silverado. 2" risers, Rifle bronze windshield, Cobra crash bars with highway pegs, Baron's ORK. DMY VIP Tour Pak with luggage rack. MCC Comfort Rider Plus passenger seat. No performance enhancers. Just comfort and safety.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. that sounds like a good deal. but if the owner was bluing his pipes and then changed the fuel settings, it sounds like they may have been running it a little lean and rough and maybe not quite know what they were doing with it. and for a price that low, with issues of the bluing and dent in the tank, i would definitely have an expert or mechanic check it out first

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
howdy. that sounds like a good deal. but if the owner was bluing his pipes and then changed the fuel settings, it sounds like they may have been running it a little lean and rough and maybe not quite know what they were doing with it. and for a price that low, with issues of the bluing and dent in the tank, i would definitely have an expert or mechanic check it out first
Sorry, I completely missed these posts! I'm finally going to see it Wednesday and if it runs right, I'll buy it. i probably will have someone make sure the air fuel mixture is right before I put too many miles on it though. Hopefully it's just the classic case of bluing cobras...said he bought them for $120 from a local guy so I'm guessing they're knock offs or were repainted before he bought them. Either way, he has the stock exhaust back on it and reset the mixture. (or so he claims). Might yank a plug out when I'm looking at it. haha Hopefully I'm not digging a hole here but for that cheap...it's hard to not want to dive in head over heels for it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 AM

Garage
Don't be shy ans ask the guy the hard questions. Do you have the service records and can I see them? Did you drop it? How was that dent made? Why are you selling it? I always said that if a deal is to good to be true then .... Like the others said; bring it to a bike shop you trust and have it checked over. These bike are great and reliable but if you don't take care of themyou might be getting yourself a pile of garage time instead of riding time.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Don't be shy ans ask the guy the hard questions. Do you have the service records and can I see them? Did you drop it? How was that dent made? Why are you selling it? I always said that if a deal is to good to be true then .... Like the others said; bring it to a bike shop you trust and have it checked over. These bike are great and reliable but if you don't take care of themyou might be getting yourself a pile of garage time instead of riding time.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.
I appreciate the advice. So far I don't think it's had much service other than oil changes because it only has 5,405 miles as of now. He said he's selling it because he needs to get rid of some toys and needs the cash for his wedding...plus he plans to go active duty soon and won't be coming back. He started the price in the $6k range and dropped it slowly until it reached $4,200 to which I offered $4k flat. Also, he said the dent was made by his grandfather who is the original owner. One day he almost dropped it and caught the tank with his knee, hence the dent. I have been trying to ask him every question I can possibly think of. If there are anymore other big ones, please let me know. I've been grilling this guy for a couple weeks about it but I'm sure I've missed something. haha
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 AM

you can't go wrong with yamahas, grew up in the 80's riding yamaha dirt bikes, recently jumped ship from a suzuki blvd i rode for a year, to a yamaha roadstar, can't say enough good things about. my wife has ridden a vstar 650 classic for about a year, she loves her's. 1300's are known to be great bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode