New member potential buyer - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

New member potential buyer

Just joined this forum. As a female new rider (as soon as I pass training course and get licensed) I am looking for feedback on a 2009 Star Custom V 650 with 1709 miles and only non-stock addition is passenger back rest. I have an extremely experienced friend checking it over for me. Is this as good a starter bike as we've been told and what immediate additions would ppl advise? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. The 650 is a very nice bike to cut your teeth on. It's light, nimble, has lots of power and will provide you with lots of good riding. Heck you may even decide to keep it instead of upgrading.

Ride safe and keep is shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 AM

That's a great bike! A friend of mine rode with us from northern Illinois to Ashville, NC and back on his and had no problems keeping up. He said he was very comfortable. Plus they are bullet proof. A great choice. And like Corsair said, you may just decide to keep it!

2003 1100 Classic Silverado. 2" risers, Rifle bronze windshield, Cobra crash bars with highway pegs, Baron's ORK. DMY VIP Tour Pak with luggage rack. MCC Comfort Rider Plus passenger seat. No performance enhancers. Just comfort and safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. the 650 is a great entry bike, and some people find it's enough power for them to not even need upgrading after several years and take it all over the country, both men and women. as far as additions, that's really a personal taste. i think most people start with a windshield if you don't have one. other than that, just take a look at what others do on their bikes on here and it may give you some ideas.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I feel welcome here and you've all been very helpful. I tried to add a picture of the new 2009 V650 Classic I bought vs. the used one I thought I wanted. However, I apparently need to learn how to do that as well as how to ride. The new bike of course had a warranty, and windshield, saddle bags and more while barely higher in price. It was hard to say who had more fun and was more excited, my friend or myself. He drove it home for me as his wife and I followed.

Last edited by Sancongo; 07-28-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: trying to add picture
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM

V star purchase

Hello

Not sure if you decided on the 650 but I ride an 1100 and it was my first bike. Not a whole lot of difference but perhaps a little more get up and go (I can keep up with my dad who rides a 1700). Curb weight is a little more but either would be a good choice.

Definitely get saddle bags. Where else do you put your purse?

If you have any questions, just let me know. I have been riding for about 4 years now.

Sarah
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Hello Sarah, thank you for your input and encouragement. My friend tried to get me to go larger, but as a newbie 650 was as big as I felt comfortable with, for now. He might be right, I might trade up next year We'll see. Mine came with saddle bags so that was one less add-on to concern myself with. Wow, we live close enough perhaps we'll meet up someday. Happy riding to you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM

Welcome to the 4F!

🇺🇸 Ride your own ride. 🇺🇸

'07 Stratoliner Quicksilver in color. Bone stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode