Is this bike too big for me? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Is this bike too big for me?

I've been wanting to learn how to ride a motorcycle for forever.

I'm signed up for class, which begins in a few weeks. In the meantime, my boyfriend - who rides a Harley - bought me a VStar 650 so I could practice in the parking lot. He goes with me to help.

I'm a woman, 44 years old, almost 6 feet tall and weigh 170 lbs. I was hoping for a Vstar 250, but he says I'm too tall for that bike and would be very cramped. Thing is, the 650 seems huge and heavy to me. . It's size and weight makes me fearful.

What do you think? Considering my height, is a 650 best? Or do you think I would feel more comfortable/ more in control with a 250?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM

When you take the class you'll be on a 250 more than likely. And you'll feel cramped on it. I've never ridden a 650. But from setting on them at dealers it's a step up from the 250. But not huge. I ride a Stratoliner. And that is huge compared to the 250.

🇺🇸 Ride your own ride. 🇺🇸

'07 Stratoliner Quicksilver in color. Bone stock.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM

Welcome to the 4m by the way!

🇺🇸 Ride your own ride. 🇺🇸

'07 Stratoliner Quicksilver in color. Bone stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
krb

You'll most likely ride a 250 for the class so you'll get a feel for it there. At 6 feet tall, the 250 felt tiny to me. It's an okay size for training in a parking lot but at the end of the day my legs were killing me because the bike was so cramped.

The 650 really is quite small. It feels big because you are starting out but once you really get out there you'll find that it's a decent size and may decide that it's too small and light. A woman I ride with is barely over 5 feet tall and she sold her 650 and bought a 950 because the 650 just wasn't big enough.

The best suggestion I can offer is to wait until you've taken the class before making any decisions. Assuming that it's the MSF basic rider course that you are taking, they should get you much more comfortable on bikes and that will help your confidence on the 650.

Last edited by krb; 07-31-2012 at 12:31 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Pick the bike that feels best to you when you ride it. Whether or not the bike is too big for you is all about how comfortable and confident you are on it. There's no particular thing about the 650 (or any other bike, really) that would make it too much for any reasonably average-sized adult once they get used to riding.

After you take the class on the 250, the 650 will feel big to you again, that's what happened to my girlfriend. But whichever bike makes you feel more comfortable is the one you want. If the 250 in your MSF course feels too cramped to you (I'm just under 6' also, and 250s feel too small for me), move back up to the 650 and spend some time getting used to it. If the 250 feels good and the 650 still feels too bulky, think about trading down to a 250 for keeps.

My girlfriend went through pretty much the exact same thing, so now she has both a Suzuki 250 and a V-Star 650. We're still waiting to see which one she'll eventually keep and which one she'll sell.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jende2 View Post
I've been wanting to learn how to ride a motorcycle for forever.

I'm signed up for class, which begins in a few weeks. In the meantime, my boyfriend - who rides a Harley - bought me a VStar 650 so I could practice in the parking lot. He goes with me to help.

I'm a woman, 44 years old, almost 6 feet tall and weigh 170 lbs. I was hoping for a Vstar 250, but he says I'm too tall for that bike and would be very cramped. Thing is, the 650 seems huge and heavy to me. . It's size and weight makes me fearful.

What do you think? Considering my height, is a 650 best? Or do you think I would feel more comfortable/ more in control with a 250?
Thanks!
The MOST important thing is how you 'sit' the bike; are your feet comfortably and easily flat on the ground when you come to a stop?
You don't want to be up on your toes.

After that, it is ALL about skillz; clutch, throttle, front break, rear break and body control and NO bike is 'too big'. A 250 runs out of engine, real fast in addition to being, as your guy suggested, probably cramped for you which is VERY bad. A 650 is going to be a good starter bike and will be as little motor as you like based on YOU controlling throttle, clutch and brakes.

If you do well, get your license, fall in love with riding and go a lot, you'll want more than the 650 in a few months. Watch.

Here;

[YOUTUBE]5f3XWMotJ2g[/YOUTUBE]
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 PM

Welcome to the forum! Always nice to see another woman riding

I'm 5' 1/2" short and have a fairly short inseam. My first bike was a Vulcan 500 and I LOVED it... put over 24,000 miles on it in less than 4 years touring all over the USA with everything I owned on the back. There were times that I wanted something bigger though so this time around I bought a VStar 1100. And I wanted to go even bigger... but I can't comfortably touch the ground with both feet on the 1300 (serious tippy toes). While the 650 is an awesome "starter" bike and fabulous for commuting (great gas mileage, enough oomph to get you out of trouble but probably not quite enough oomph to get you in to trouble ) you may find in a year or two that you want to trade up to something bigger....

My honest suggestion is to wait for the MSF course. Many friends/family who "help" you learn to ride tend to push you faster than you want to go and often leave out the really important stuff that is second nature to them so they don't think to mention it (flashbacks to my Dad trying to teach me how to drive a stick-shift car...*groan*). Once you have the basics on the beat up little 250 that they provide you will have more skills and confidence to get onto the 650. And it's all about skills and confidence. The more you ride, the more natural it will seem and soon you'll be throwing that 650 around like it's a toy and wanting to try out the boyfriend's Harley

Good luck and remember to have FUN!

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 PM

I just started riding. Got a 650. I'm 6' 160 lb and really like the fit on the bike. My wife who took the safety class recently seemed to fit very nicely also and little to no trouble riding the 650. She is 5' 8" and slightly heavier than you. She was originally wanting to get a 250 but I think that's over now that she has ridden the 650.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 V Star Custom 650
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 PM

Now that I think of it I wish my legs would be stretched out more. At some point I'm going to have to address this but for now I can live with it. I am very happy with my 650 though. Some day I will probably want to upgrade, but I don't think it be a necessary upgrade
The only other bikes I have ridden was the ones from the safety class. My experience is very limited.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 V Star Custom 650
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. ditto to everything everyone else has already said

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode