Another new member from Texas - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Location: Resident of Texas, but traveling the last 9 years and wintering in Florida.
Send a message via Skype™ to Centerdriver
Another new member from Texas

Where to start. Guess will say I have a LOT of miles on two wheels, although not in the last 9 years. Let me regress.
My wife is a Travel Nurse, and when we decided to get into this, I sold all my toys. Hot rod 70 chevy truck, grandpa's 72 Impala, boat, bike, house, business.....everything. Now, in the last year, I have had a hankering for another bike. The wife loves to ride with me, but traveling just did not give us room for a bike since I pull a 20' center console boat where ever we go. (Reason for the name, Centerdriver)
I have never had a "cruiser", but instead, have had Yamaha's, Honda's and a bad little 650 Triumph R-model. A friend of mine down in florida picked up a 1300 V-Star and I truely am envious. Smooth ride, not loud, plenty for a two up. So, thats why I am here.
When we get back down to florida in october, will be checking around for a 950, 1100 or a 1300. My wife is a little ol thing, and I am just over 6', 200 lb. so think these will pull ok and not hurt it for highway touring. I hate to be under powered and if I need to crank the throttle, I want something that will get me out of the way.
Have been lurking around reading a bunch and know there is a world of knowlege here. Any tips at what to look for in a used bike would be greatly appreciated. About all I know now is to look for miles, price, oil leaks, belt condition etc. Would be most thankful for any and all info.
I did not have that much room on the profile to put very much, but at just under 60, I have been a lot of places and done quite a bit. If there is anything I could be able to help out with, please let me know.
Dusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Location: Resident of Texas, but traveling the last 9 years and wintering in Florida.
Ok, I get it. Don't have a bike yet. Will return when I get one in October.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. let us know if you have any questions

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Welcome aboard, Centerdriver!

Any of the bikes you mentioned, 950, 1100 or 1300 should have plenty of power for lots of 2-up touring. My girlfriend and I do a lot of 2-up on my 950, and I've never found it short on power. All these bikes are going to fit slightly different, though, so the best thing you can do is sit on all of them and see what fits you the best.

It's worth mentioning that the 950 and 1300 are both fuel-injected, and the 1100 is carbureted. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your viewpoint.

It's also worth mentioning that the V-Star 950 is the Greatest Bike in the History of the World!

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM

Welcome! But if want real power and style, look at the Stratoliner! 😄

🇺🇸 Ride your own ride. 🇺🇸

'07 Stratoliner Quicksilver in color. Bone stock.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Since no one replyed, after quite a few hours, I figured I would have to all ready have a bike to be in here. In fact, the main reason I am here is to research the different kinds/models offered by Yamaha (at least I have narrowed it down to Yamaha). Since I am the type of person that puts in hours of research on high dollar items, what I saw when first visiting this site was real people discussing just what I wanted to see. The goods/bads/if's etc etc of everything from handling, engines, windshields, bags and the list goes on. Please excuse my ignorance in a lot of areas about the newer bikes. What I am use to is from 1985 back. Have all ways bought older machines and built them back to the best they could be. So, fuel injected or carbed. Belt, chain or shaft. Things like this I need to get smart on.
Once again, thanks for puttin up with a ol retiree. I need all the help I can get.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Garage
Well lets just say, welcome to the forum you future 1100 owner . I'm sure it will be RED and fast.

The 1100 is carburated but I don't see this as an issue. One thing to note though; the 1100 hasn't been in production in the states for a few years now. This means that you will have to find a nice used one but this shouldn't be a problem. The other bikes are also very nice, hey Yamaha makes nice bikes .

Good luck on your search and once you get it; ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Corsair. I have noticed that most the bikes in this class for sale on craigslist in florida, are 1100 and 650. With a lot more 1100's than the 650. Since I read the 1100 was carbed, figured that was the reason there were so many of them. Figured the 650's were there cuz people wanted a bigger bike. Hard to find many 950's or 1300's.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

the 1300 will probably give you the smoothest ride and certainly the most power. has benefits of being liquid-cooled, efi, belt drive, 200 miles between re-fueling, and not much higher in price between the other 2 models.

the 950 is the mostest funnest bike. just because it's slightly smaller than the other 2 doesn't mean it's considered 'small'. i've taken mine across the country and back doing 95mph most of the way. it's nimble and also has belt drive, efi, low seat height but long wheelbase make it more balanced than most bikes.

depends on what features you want for the bike. the 1100 will be higher maintenance than the other 2 but you can probably find the best price of the 3.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
the 1300 will probably give you the smoothest ride and certainly the most power. has benefits of being liquid-cooled, efi, belt drive, 200 miles between re-fueling, and not much higher in price between the other 2 models.

the 950 is the mostest funnest bike. just because it's slightly smaller than the other 2 doesn't mean it's considered 'small'. i've taken mine across the country and back doing 95mph most of the way. it's nimble and also has belt drive, efi, low seat height but long wheelbase make it more balanced than most bikes.

depends on what features you want for the bike. the 1100 will be higher maintenance than the other 2 but you can probably find the best price of the 3.
Good to know and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode