Looking to buy a 2005 Vstar .. What to look for? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking to buy a 2005 Vstar .. What to look for?

hello my name is Matt

im going tonight to look at a 2005 Vstar 1100. i was hoping to get some informtation on anything particular to look for on the bike.. common problems, quirks, special add ons it might have etc

the bike in question is a white 2005 vstar classic 1100
35,000 miles
clean title
windshield
saddle bags

seller has it listed for 1900 obo, in the pictures the bike looks to be in great shape. it does have a few small dents in the front fender as well as a few scrapes on the saddle bag. owner says he has had it for 5 years of its life and well maintained. the small bit of damage was from when he was approaching a stop light and a car came over so he had to lay t down at very low speed to avoid being hit.

any advise/guidance/tips would be greatly appreciated. i have always relied on and been an active member of forums for every vehicle i own from vw bugs to jeeps etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vstarwhite2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	54786   Click image for larger version

Name:	vstarwhite1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	54794  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Welcome Matt, from southwestern PA. The 1100 is a great machine. Known to run well over 200,000 miles, usually with very little problems if regularly maintained. I myself have only had mine for about 4 years and I love it. Only thing to remember bout the 1100's is to never use throttle when starting. The starter has a one way clutch that can be cantankerous. There are a bunch of 1100 owners here that can give ya much better reviews that can I, but like I said, I love mine. Good luck in makin yer decision. By the way, looks like a nice ride and good price to me, and dents and scratches won't hurt the way it runs at all.

Sonysnek
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
just picked it up and brought it home for $1750 ! .. the thing is beautiful. he had all service records from the last 5 years... full tune up ever year, new tires , brakes. I think i scored a pretty awesome deal

now to research how to put custom smaller fenders on it and take off the huge windshield and side bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeYourBacon View Post
just picked it up and brought it home for $1750 ! .. the thing is beautiful. he had all service records from the last 5 years... full tune up ever year, new tires , brakes. I think i scored a pretty awesome deal

now to research how to put custom smaller fenders on it and take off the huge windshield and side bags
looks like you got an 1100 for the price of a 650 good deal, i think the most common problem on 1100s is cracked starter clutches probably caused by engine kick back. to avoid it hold the starter button until it starts don't let go in mid cranking but if you do wait till your sure every thing is completely stopped before cranking again. you don't want the engine rolling back when you engage the starter.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:52 PM

Hey, congratulations on yer new ride. I'd say ya got a great deal. I'm sure you'll get many a (s)mile out of it.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

and please take our census

which yammy ya got? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:31 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Bacon. Great bike for a great price. One thing you may want to check is the mid shaft nut. It can loosen off and snap the drive shaft. Don't ask how I know .

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 06:33 AM

Garage
Hi Bacon, I join the others in welcoming you. Sounds like you got a good deal, great looking ride!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Welcome to the forum Bacon. Great bike for a great price. One thing you may want to check is the mid shaft nut. It can loosen off and snap the drive shaft. Don't ask how I know .

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.
i'v heard the same thing, the nut holding the universal joint backing out. i believe after 2005 it was corrected. makes me wonder how many 1100s crashed because of wheel lock from a failure like that

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 PM

you got a great deal, congrats. Make sure you Google the 1100 wiki knowledge base and read. Its a great bike !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode