Back on the bike after 34 years - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Back on the bike after 34 years

Well, back on a bike, yet another Yamaha, last bike was a '67 R1 350 that I sold in '75. This is the first bike I've owned since. Forgot how much fun and enjoyable they were.
2007 VStar Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 AM

Welcome back! Ride safe.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 PM

Welcome back and welcome to the site.

Bogie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Welcome back indeed... I have been off two years and not by choice, I'm on a v custom
1100 now! Don't know how you did it but glad your back... Remember "you don't stop riding because
You get old, you get old because you stop riding"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

re: Back on the bike after 34 years

hehe, thank the oil speculators for getting me back on the bike.
saw an ad in the Recycler by one of the local bike dealers for new 07 650 silverados for $69/mo in may 08 when gas was $4.60/gal here in CA. showed it to my wife as a lark. dropped it... 2 weeks later she asked if I had checked it out...
we were spending over $450/mo on gas and incidentals for my commute alone. so we drove down to the dealer and 2 hours later I was driving the bike home....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 PM

GOOD FOR YOU!! Just watch out for those idiots who drive cars!! HAHA!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM

Way to go. Had my own hiatus and came back in 2005 with the purchase of a new V-Star 1100. I've decided that it was the best buy I could have made. Most ergonomically comfortable bike I've ever been on and that includes a BMW. Hope you enjoy that 1100. Yamaha is blowing it big time by discontinuing the bike instead of fuel injecting it.

zioo
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:04 AM

Welcome Back....

I too have been off the bike for many moons. But I still had "The Ride" in Me. Ended up getting a 2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100. And I am Loving it.

Hope you enjoy your return to riding!

- It's NOT what you ride,
but, That you LOVE to Ride!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:01 PM

I just started riding recently, have a 2000 vstar 1100 custom and really enjoy riding so far. i have put about 1500 miles on the bike in four months i am still learning to make sharp slow speed turns. I dropped it once on loose gravel, so i guess i am getting initiated. i have ridden in rain, at night, on curvy back roads and interstate , so getting to learn some new things. i am trying to be very careful, went on my first group ride two weeks ago and enjoyed it, can learn a lot of seasoned riders. i try to ride safely, wear a lime green vest, white helmet, and protective jacket/pants/boots. it is amazing that when i stop riding for even a week , it seems i have to reorient myself to riding a bit , i guess it is because my lack of riding experience. I am still going to the local school parking lots and practicing turns/stops/ swerves, etc, it seems to help build confidence.

drive safely
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:13 PM

V-Star23-Your honesty is refreshing. About those gravel turns. There are a number of situations on a motorcycle wherein doing what you always do most of the time can get you off two wheels. I won't go into all of them: it would be impossible to do so. One of them is gravel; oil; sand; loose rocks, etc.; any surface other than hard stuff. Some of the most experienced riders upon occasion drop their rides on such materials and often if not always when they least expect it. Respect turns more than you should instead of as much as you should. Also remember that sometimes a shaft drive grabs very suddenly at the rear tire area when you either get on or off the throttle more than conditions would normally forgive. Usually no problem except a heartbeat alert. In the soft or slick stuff, however, these can also cause the loss of the rear wheel. Certain tires help compensate for these mishaps, if they have sticky compound, but only to a degree. A lot of experience over time along with a reorientation period if one has been off the bike for quite a while, all will help. Best wishes on one of the best motorcycles on the planet.

zioo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode