New Member - V-Star 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes
  • 2 Post By bofa
  • 2 Post By Keith Post
  • 2 Post By bofa
  • 2 Post By Keith Post
  • 4 Post By bevo1981
  • 4 Post By sonysnek
  • 4 Post By YamaMassGirl
  • 4 Post By raulgarzajr.1311
  • 2 Post By bofa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

New Member - V-Star 950

Hi everyone. I picked up a used V-Star 950 this weekend. It's a 2011 with around 15k miles. I previously owned a couple of sport bikes (Kawi 636) but this is my first cruiser and I'm loving it so far. See ya around.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:51 PM

Garage
Hey bofa, welcome to the forum. Love my 09' 950, and ride it whenever possible. Send us some pics of it, and ride safely!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
bofa and bofa like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Hey bofa, welcome to the forum. Love my 09' 950, and ride it whenever possible. Send us some pics of it, and ride safely!

Thanks Keith. I've heard nothing but great things about these bikes.

Only one pic so far

I have some paint and polish work to do and I'll get some better pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:05 PM

Garage
Our top moderator, bevo, is well versed in the 950's. I hopped mine up a tad, and it'll really pulls well.

bofa and bofa like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

and please take our census

which yammy ya got? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

congrats on purchasing the best motorcycle ever invented. here's a little history behind your incredible machine:

little known fact: the 950 was originally conceptualized and designed through a collaboration between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. since these 2 publicly hated each other, their teamwork had to be kept secret. when their design was completed, they determined that the world was not yet ready for such a masterpiece. Albert Einstein once visited Tesla and this 950 project was then revealed to him under the promise that Einstein would only use such information for good, and never for evil. upon viewing the plans, Einstein was inspired to come up with his theory of relativity. he notated in his diary about his experience and vowed to never tell anyone about the 950 as he agreed that the world was just not ready for it yet. Yamaha founder Genichi Kawakami was an apprentice of Einstein in the early 50s. upon Einstein's deathbed, he bestowed upon his apprentice the revelation of the v star 950 and instructed him to find his diary which included full details and plans which he had memorized and copied down from what he learned from Tesla. after Einstein's death, Kawakami was so inspired by the v star 950 that he decided to create Yamaha just 3 months later with the hope that one day he would have the technology to fully realize the dream of the 950 and that the world might be ready for it. work on the 950 began immediately, but 47 years later, it had still not been completed yet when Kawakami passed away in 2002. but Yamaha kept on with the project, knowing that the 950 was too important for mankind and must be completed soon. then, in 2008, the v star 950 was completed and released upon the world. the rest is history.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Welcome Bofa, from southwestern PA. Congrats on yer new purchase. Nice ride ya got there.

Sonysnek
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:07 PM

Garage
I was looking at all different kinds of bikes when I bought my 2010 V Star 950 just a couple weeks ago!

@bofa. - I previously owned a Yamaha FZ6. I never liked the gearing on that bike. And though it's supposed to corner better than a cruiser, I felt it a bit squirrely until I upgraded the front tire to the Roadmaster III. - Anyway...

The 950 is smooth, with great power in each gear. So far I love the engine on this bike and know it will only get better when I can do some performance mods. First will be a Barons Big Air Intake, (at least that looks like a perfect, effective first mod that will require NO EFI adjustments.)

I joined this forum to revisit a thread about how to prevent dragging floor boards. Going from a sport bike to a cruiser is something that I knew would be a transition for me. I've put on less that 200 miles on the bike so far, and clearance is perhaps better than I feared. (Only touched one of the boards down on a twisty section near my house that I deliberately tested right away. Ha.)

I'm planning on taking the experienced rider course next month, and am sure this will get me acquainted with the bike limits.

Congrats on your 2011.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:19 PM

Welcome to the forum from Highlands, TX
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Bevo might be standing a little too close to the exhaust pipe.

I told myself the mod bug wouldn't bite this time, but I did order a few "necessities." I put the V&H twins lash slip on today and a battery tender. The mustang seat is on order. Going to try an led headlight bulb out. Also had to order rear pegs and a sissy bar to see if I can convince my wife to ride (previous owner removed the rear seat and pegs.. and tool kit apparently). Oh and new tires are now a priority. Some things never change!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode