2002 V-Star 1100 Custom - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

2002 V-Star 1100 Custom

I'm just checking in with the requisite new member post. I do the routine service on my wife's 2002 V-Star 1100 Custom, and have come here looking for advice from others who are more experienced with this bike. Thanks, in advance, for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Garage
Hey, I'm new to the forum too. I havn't purchased it yet, but I recommend the oil filter relocation kit.
My dealership wants 100 bucks to change oil, all because they have to pull that exhaust off.

I usually do most work myself, but quoted them just to see.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, interesting. I haven't changed the filter on this bike myself yet.

Frankly, I'd like to get a new set of pipes for this bike, regardless of the oil filter issue. The stock ones are suffocating this poor motor. I haven't ridden a V-Star with better pipes / filter, but they've got to help. Alas, my wife is a speech therapist, and enjoys the ultra-quiet stock pipes because they're better for her hearing. She's right, of course; it'd just be nice to unleash a little more of what this motor has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 PM

Garage
I got a set of cobra slash cut slip ons. I feel like it really lets my bike breath. It can get loud when you opening up the throttle. I love loud, and could go louder, but I'm happy with these. They give it a nice tone, so it doesn't sound like a lawn mower!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I have those same mufflers on my Shadow I've been pretty happy with them, a K&N filter, and a jet kit. My mileage definitely took a hit after the mods, but they made an impressive difference in power, especially on the low end.

I agree that the Cobras are loud with an open throttle. My bike's only a 4-speed, too, so it roars on the highway (and not in a good way). My brother-in-law has a set of Vance & Hines on his Harley, and they're amazing. They bark when there's a lot of vacuum, but somehow quiet way down when you're cruising. Every other bike I've had seems to have a linear relationship between the RPM and the loudness of the mufflers. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get the same setup that he has.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 PM

Garage
Ahh! My first bike was a 1996 Shadow 600. Gave it to my father.
The guy that had it before me did something to the stock exhaust to make it sound decent. It's only a 4 speed too. That thing would screamed at 60+ mph
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 03:35 PM

Garage
Hi ShadowRider, welcome to the forum. We have a number of 1100 owners here so your questions should get answered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Keith. It's only been two hours, and I've already received several helpful replies. Thanks for moderating!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyder1112 View Post
Ahh! My first bike was a 1996 Shadow 600.
I actually like the lines on the 600s from that era better than the 1100. The spoked wheels, triangular filter cover, low seat... I dig the painted battery (or toolbox?) cover on the colored models, too.

I ended up with the 1100 because I was just heading out on a cross-country tour and wanted a bigger motor and frame. The guys at the dealership poked fun at me when it took over a week to get enough miles for the initial break-in service (600 miles, I think?). I brought it back a year later with 16K on it It's up to 78K now. Obviously I'm slowing down, but I still have my sights set on 100K for this bike.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:15 PM

Garage
You're very welcome ShadowRider. Enjoy the forum and it's great members.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode