Greetings! Valves and leaks and ticks! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Greetings! Valves and leaks and ticks!

Hello Everybody,

I have a vstar 1100 that started ticking after it warmed up. I adjusted the valve lash to .008 and .014 for the intake and exhaust, respectively. Now it ticks all the time, just on the back jug, and the front jug is now leaking oil at the crank and tappet covers.

I triple checked the lash on the valves!

I rode about 40 miles on it and even tho the noise is pretty normal according to the forum, it was never there before.

Just wondering if anybody else experienced the same thing with ticking and the gaskets leaking?

The gaskets look beautiful and there's no sign of cracking or wear.

Thanks!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

and please take our census

which yammy ya got? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

be sure to ask in the V Star section here

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 06:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntzuzuki View Post
Hello Everybody,

I have a vstar 1100 that started ticking after it warmed up. I adjusted the valve lash to .008 and .014 for the intake and exhaust, respectively. Now it ticks all the time, just on the back jug, and the front jug is now leaking oil at the crank and tappet covers.

I triple checked the lash on the valves!

I rode about 40 miles on it and even tho the noise is pretty normal according to the forum, it was never there before.

Just wondering if anybody else experienced the same thing with ticking and the gaskets leaking?

The gaskets look beautiful and there's no sign of cracking or wear.

Thanks!

Nick
i set my 650 to .003 on intakes and .0045 on exhaust in thousands of an inch with no noise and no problems there is a hot setting for the 1100 and 650 which is .0015 for both valves but there's no way to do it. the engine would cool down to fast to accomplish it. i didn't start going that tight until the engine and valve train were well broken in. after a certain point valves won't seat any deeper and the stems are done stretching allowing for tighter clearances but will need to be checked more often. my clearances haven't changed more than a half of thousand of an inch in years so i only check them once a year now in winter. and seldom need to touch them. after removing valve covers you should replace the rubber seal regardless of how it looks, the seals are lot cheaper at outboard motor dealers and have the same part number

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 04-17-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Pauli, thank you so much for those awesome tips! I thought setting the valves that tight would be damaging to the engine?

I have about 7500 miles on it now, I bought it last month from a guy who has only put 6000 miles on it since '04. I've put 1500 on this month and plan to take it across the country on a camping trip so I'm really hoping to learn all the ins and outs of this engine. I figure the bike has been sitting for a while as he had a scare and stopped riding, so it would make sense the gaskets wouldn't do so well after they've been taken off and put back on.

I appreciate the reply!

Nick
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntzuzuki View Post
Pauli, thank you so much for those awesome tips! I thought setting the valves that tight would be damaging to the engine?

I have about 7500 miles on it now, I bought it last month from a guy who has only put 6000 miles on it since '04. I've put 1500 on this month and plan to take it across the country on a camping trip so I'm really hoping to learn all the ins and outs of this engine. I figure the bike has been sitting for a while as he had a scare and stopped riding, so it would make sense the gaskets wouldn't do so well after they've been taken off and put back on.

I appreciate the reply!

Nick
yeah i thought it was weird the some yamaha marine engines would use the same valve covers as an xvs 650 but they do and have been for a lot of years

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode