Getting my VStar 1100 tomorrow! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Getting my VStar 1100 tomorrow!

Hi guys. I'm taking delivery of a new to me, 2007 VStar 1100 classic tomorrow morning. Feel like a kid before Xmas as I can hardly contain my excitement. Got a great deal on a single owner bike that has under 14k miles and extensive mods - performance cams, roadhouse exhaust, pod filters, engine oil relocation kit, windshield, upgraded starter and clutch, saddle man bags and givi top case, nautilus horn, amongst other things.

I've been off the bike for a while and this will be my first cruiser bike. My only slight concern was it has 16 inch ape bars on it. I know people either love them or hate them but sitting on the bike I liked my hand position - I'm 5 foot 10 with a long upper torso. Only time will tell if they are staying on. Figure I'll give it a few weeks of riding.

I've been watching every guide, article and video on how to handle a heavy cruiser bike in slow speeds and emergency situations. Besides motorman's how to ride like a pro series can anyone suggest some other technique guides?

I'm a lucky guy since my wife is super supportive of me getting back on the bike - she can't wait to ride pillion (it will have to be in a while though as I adjust to the bike) and even wants to learn herself. Looking forward to meeting other riders in the tri-state area.

Sam
__________________________________________________ _______________
2007 VSTar 1100 Classic
Mods: SS Custom Cycle 429 cams, Barnett 64lb clutch spring conversion, Roadhouse 2-into-1 exhaust, Dyna 3000 ignition module, Dyna Hi-energy coils, Thundervolt spark plug wires, Metric Magic Under tank K&N filter pods, Metric Magic PMS screws, Yamaha upgraded starter clutch, rejetted carbs, Barons ORK oil filter relocation kit, Mustang touring seat, 1000lbs Eibach rear suspension spring, Progressive front fork springs, Stebel Nautilus horn, upgraded rear turn signals, Saddleman Midnight express saddlebags, Givi E340 topcase, VStar tall windshield.

Last edited by ZenStarRider; 09-27-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Welcome from another recent 1100 owner (and recent return to bikes).

You might consider the MSP new rider course or returning rider course - I took it for fun and really found it helpful. I've also heard others mention the "Clevver" which is simply a Yamaha factor clutch lever that has been modified to make the friction zone on the clutch a bit larger.

Be Safe!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Welcome aboard.That bike has alot of good mods.Its going to be fast.MSP course is a good ideal.Take your time an Be Safe

09 V STAR 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave star View Post
Welcome aboard.That bike has alot of good mods.Its going to be fast.MSP course is a good ideal.Take your time an Be Safe
Thanks. Yup I'm signed up for the MSP BRC even though I have previous experience I thought it couldn't hurt. I'm also signed up for an intermediate course. Both at a Harley dealership. I'm hoping the instructors will have more cruiser experience.

Sam
2007 VSTar 1100 Classic
Mods: SS Custom Cycle 429 cams, Barnett 64lb clutch spring conversion, Roadhouse 2-into-1 exhaust, Dyna 3000 ignition module, Dyna Hi-energy coils, Thundervolt spark plug wires, Metric Magic Under tank K&N filter pods, Metric Magic PMS screws, Yamaha upgraded starter clutch, rejetted carbs, Barons ORK oil filter relocation kit, Mustang touring seat, 1000lbs Eibach rear suspension spring, Progressive front fork springs, Stebel Nautilus horn, upgraded rear turn signals, Saddleman Midnight express saddlebags, Givi E340 topcase, VStar tall windshield.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 PM

Welcome aboard If you decide to change out the 16" apes let me know, i have my stock bars still if you want to trade

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 PM

The 16" apes sound a bit goofy to me, otherwise,welcome back Enjoy your new ride, have fun

Ride Safe
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys. Riding safe is my number one priority and I appreciate all the recommendations for the MSP course. I know that the bike is a heavy SOB and the mods add an appreciable increase in power. Took delivery today. Had it parked on the street and had to change it over to opposite side that required a steering locked u-turn at low speed. Believe you me, I was worried about dropping it but remembering basic motorcycle techniques made it easy - slight rear brake, friction zone and really snapping my head around - even with a 600+ lbs bike.

I have a whole bunch of slow speed drills that I want to do before venturing out into highway speed. Surprisingly the 16-inch apes didn't make slow speed maneuvers any more difficult. I'm guessing I'll feel it more in higher speed turns that will require more bar push.

SparkyD - thanks for the offer but I also have the stock bars. I'll probably give it a few hundred miles before deciding on swapping it out.

Sugar Bear - Haha. I know your sentiment about the Apes. To tell you the truth that's kind of how I felt about them too before getting this bike, but there's just something about the aesthetics of it that make it seem right - purely subjective of course. My main concern was and still is proper handling. Low speeds don't seem to be a concern... high speed ????

Sam
2007 VSTar 1100 Classic

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miescha View Post
Welcome from another recent 1100 owner (and recent return to bikes).

You might consider the MSP new rider course or returning rider course - I took it for fun and really found it helpful. I've also heard others mention the "Clevver" which is simply a Yamaha factor clutch lever that has been modified to make the friction zone on the clutch a bit larger.

Be Safe!
Hi Miescha. As you mention it I read about the small friction zone and experienced it today first hand. I don't think it's horrible - besides stalling on it once not too terrible but could be better. I ordered the "Clevver" this afternoon. A bike this heavy IMHO could really use a bit more leeway in the size of the friction zone. Hopefully the install will be straightforward - the online guide seems simple enough.

And yup I'm signed up for the MSP course.

Sam
2007 VSTar 1100 Classic

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:59 AM

I've had my 1100 about 3 weeks now and put 1,000 miles on it. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the small friction zone, but I too ordered the "clever" last week. It was cheap and sounded interesting.

Now that you've actually taken possession of your bike, I feel obligated to warn you that you are dangerously close to violating forum rules if you post any more messages without pics

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Garage
Must be stuck in the ZEN zone . If the ape bars are in the way of taking a good pic then just replace them take the pics, post them and put the apes back .

Welcome to the forum. This place is great, fun and most of all friendly.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode