Hello from the coast - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Hello from the coast

Hi guys, greetings from Myrtle Beach. I just bought a 2003 V-Star 650 Custom a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm loving it. Its my starter bike, but I was kind of scared due to being a bigger guy 6'1, 305. It handles my weight very well and I'm just glad to have something to drive besides my truck. Question for you guys though, the only thing I don't like about this bike is the "Friction Zone." I have starting up and taking off about 85% down, but coming to a stop and then going like at a stop sign I'm pretty bad at, so since I stay beside a very busy highway I've limited myself to the parking lot. I installed the Clevver Lever, but after a while it just seems to be back where it started. I want to keep the bike, but I'm just worried that the whole stalling out at stop is going to prevent me from actually riding the bike. Any tips or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

and please take our census

which yammy ya got? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

be sure to ask in the V Star section here for advice

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 07:35 AM

Keep practicing is all I can tell ya. The 650 is know for it's "limited" or lack of friction zone. Most folks here using the clever claim it helps tremendously. Just something you have to get used to I assume.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:57 AM

You need more practice to get used to it. Better if you consider any basic riding course.

2006 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Firstly I would like to thank all of you guys for responding to my post and giving me help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Keep practicing is all I can tell ya. The 650 is know for it's "limited" or lack of friction zone. Most folks here using the clever claim it helps tremendously. Just something you have to get used to I assume.
Yeah it is different for me since this is my first bike so I think when I actually get time to go back home I'll just practice out back in the yard. The clevver lever does help a lot, but I'm only speaking for myself. Instead of letting the clutch out at about 90% to engage the friction zone it goes to rough about 65-70%, if you do it just right it could be better, but I'm new to this so I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarter45 View Post
You need more practice to get used to it. Better if you consider any basic riding course.
Yeah that was what I figured the answer would be. I thought about taking one, but $250 for a couple of days really isn't in my budget since I'm on a college student budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post

feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

Well do

and please take our census

which yammy ya got? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

Done

be sure to ask in the V Star section here for advice
Ok, I think that is probably what I will do
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 12:43 PM

Welcome Yamther, from southwestern PA. Congrats on yer new ride. Sometimes it just take time getting used to something new. Give yourself some time and I'm sure everything will work itself out. And practice, practice, practice.

Sonysnek
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnek View Post
Welcome Yamther, from southwestern PA. Congrats on yer new ride. Sometimes it just take time getting used to something new. Give yourself some time and I'm sure everything will work itself out. And practice, practice, practice.
Thank you and thats pretty much the consensus so when I find the right time I'll just constantly play with it and drive it until I become comfortable with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode