• 2 Post By sonysnek
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 2 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By BikerGRG
  • 2 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi

Been gone a few years,had to get rid of my Silverado when my wife passed away from cancer,got an 82 Goldwing Aspencade but it's in pieces in the garage and just to old to work on it anymore(deteriorating arthritis in my back).
but I'm back,just bought a 02' 1100 Drag Star,though I got slightly screwed,running straight pipes,need to find mufflers,started back firing on the way home and dies at idle,so about a month till I'm riding here in So.Cal again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01111_kaXIrdtFU9v_1200x900.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	58762  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:49 AM

Garage
Welcome back, and clean looking 1100 you have there. Sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Since you're in socal you have some great riding weather. Enjoy it, and ride safely!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Welcome Biker, from southwestern PA. So sorry for your loss. And I agree, nice ride ya got yourself there. Probaly just need the carbs adjusted, or cleaned up.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:39 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Carbs are easy to jet tobfix the popping. Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, when I bought it,I started to check the gas level,the guy told me it had half a tank so I didn't look,opened it yesterday and looks like its coated with rust,have some sea foam so as soon as I get the reg. and insurance I'm going to run it with the sea foam and hope I don't need a carb rebuild. Will have them rebuilt later but dont have the money at the moment.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 06:41 PM

Garage
I had rust in mine, really bad. So bad the bike would not run. Did a lot of research and used following fix. Empty all gas from tank. Pull tank. Fill with cider vinegar, totally, a few dollar a gallon at grocery store. Let set at least overnight, longer if you can. Empty cider. Very important not to let sit empty as will rerust quickly. Rinse tank like crazy, I used the gas I had drained out of tank. Make sure and be careful if you use the gas rinse method. I took the petcock off and cleaned. Bought new fuel filter from auto parts store, under $5. Cleaned carbs, most of the time the rubber gaskets can be reused, I turned my gaskets over. Cleaned jets with small piece of wire, bread twisty work good. Use brake cleaner, $4, to spray jets out and make sure they are clean. The total cost of project was under $25. This was several years ago and no issues since then. I do run a fuel cleaner about every 6 months to prevent future issues. I commute daily about 120 miles round trip and average over 12k miles a year. Have done all maintenance myself and always on a budget. If you need any other help let me know as I know I properly left something out. Here's a great link for V* info, https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Gas tank before

After cleaning

Rust out of fuel filter

Rust in carb bowl

New filter in place
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 05-15-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: I can't spell. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode