Car Mechanic Fixing a Bike. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
FGS

Cool Car Mechanic Fixing a Bike.

Hello,

Now, I don't ride bikes myself. I signed up so I can get some questions answered as I fix my dad's 2006 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. I'd love to send pics but it's missing parts as I fix the poor thing.

He's debating whether to sell it or go back to riding it. It has been sitting in the driveway for 3 or more years under a bike cover meant for a Yamaha speed bike my older bro used to own. It fits but barely. Then it ripped apart. So to the covered porch it went. Fun getting the thing up three steps on car ramps for oil changes.

Obviously the battery went dead long since. Bought a new one. Turned over but didn't start. Apparently bikes suffer the same stale gas as lawn care power tools like mowers and such. Carb rebuild time. Done that and re-install the carb without any problems.

Time to start it up with a recharged battery. No start, no nothing, even the digital odo didn't show up. Turns out I had the mains fuse in the spare fuse slot under the seat instead of where it's meant to go. Rookie mistake, but Yamaha should name the fuse block under the seat like they did on the left side.

Trying again, lights work, fuel pump buzzed like it should. Then I got a code 58 on the check engine light. Fuel solenoid valve open/shorted. Looked under the carbs and saw that one of them had a wire completely break out off the solenoid leaving a hole in it. The other solenoid still have the wire attached but it doesn't look good. Exposed copper strands as the insulation fell apart where it goes into the valve. Looks like I'll be shelling $150 for a tiny solenoid.

Are the solenoids the same parts or they're different? I know the connectors for them differs in colors but I dunno whether they interchange or not.

Hopefully I can get this bike up and running and my dad goes back to riding it. Lots of work to do before it's roadworthy. Oil change, brakes flushed and so on. Thankfully it's air cooled so one less fluid to contend with.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:51 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...-modifications you can bypass the fuel cut selonoids.if yiou pull the carbs and remove the o-ring on the main jet.this will get you running. while you have it apart clean the pilot jets and passage. the jets have small holes in the sides which can be cleaned with the wire from a bread tie. altho i hold up to the light to make sure.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGS View Post
Hello,

Now, I don't ride bikes myself. I signed up so I can get some questions answered as I fix my dad's 2006 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. I'd love to send pics but it's missing parts as I fix the poor thing.

He's debating whether to sell it or go back to riding it. It has been sitting in the driveway for 3 or more years under a bike cover meant for a Yamaha speed bike my older bro used to own. It fits but barely. Then it ripped apart. So to the covered porch it went. Fun getting the thing up three steps on car ramps for oil changes.

Obviously the battery went dead long since. Bought a new one. Turned over but didn't start. Apparently bikes suffer the same stale gas as lawn care power tools like mowers and such. Carb rebuild time. Done that and re-install the carb without any problems. if it doesn't even try to start on full choke then that orifice may be plugged also

Time to start it up with a recharged battery. No start, no nothing, even the digital odo didn't show up. Turns out I had the mains fuse in the spare fuse slot under the seat instead of where it's meant to go. Rookie mistake, but Yamaha should name the fuse block under the seat like they did on the left side.

Trying again, lights work, fuel pump buzzed like it should. Then I got a code 58 on the check engine light. Fuel solenoid valve open/shorted. Looked under the carbs and saw that one of them had a wire completely break out off the solenoid leaving a hole in it. The other solenoid still have the wire attached but it doesn't look good. Exposed copper strands as the insulation fell apart where it goes into the valve. Looks like I'll be shelling $150 for a tiny solenoid.

Are the solenoids the same parts or they're different? I know the connectors for them differs in colors but I dunno whether they interchange or not.

Hopefully I can get this bike up and running and my dad goes back to riding it. Lots of work to do before it's roadworthy. Oil change, brakes flushed and so on. Thankfully it's air cooled so one less fluid to contend with.

Thanks.
the bike will still run with the broken solenoid wire, those solenoids only come into play at the rev limiter point around 6500 rpm. it should at least try to start on full choke even with plugged jets because the choke circuit allows extra fuel in through its own orifice not main or pilot jets. there are two jets people forget about one is the pilot " air " jet and the other is the choke circuit i once seen a bug in the pilot air jet that caused big problems, i don't know how it got there but it did

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-17-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode