Prospective buyer - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Prospective buyer

Hi everyone,

I am a new rider. Well, seriously new as in, I'm going to take a class soon to learn the ropes. I am set on getting a V Star. I love the looks and options to customize (and the price). However, I need some advice from some experienced riders. I am not a small guy at 6 foot 280lbs so I am curious about which I go with. I was looking hard at 650s but I am now thinking that it may not be enough bike and if it is, it wont be for long. Should I go with an 1100? Is this a terrible bike for me to learn on? I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:11 PM

Personally i say go sit on a few bikes to get the feel of what you are most comfortable on. Not sure exactly what ur looking for but the vstar 950 is out there also. I like yamaha personally and love my 650. I'm 5'8" about 220 ish and I'm comfortable. Only thing I've done comfort wise is add a set of kuryakyn mini boards in place of the stock pegs. I regularly run at 70 for about a 30 minute ride to work. Haven't ridden an 1100 but I've heard they're a bit tame for an 1100. Piece of advise, while you may not want a big cruiser to handle for a first bike it will be harder to learn on a bike that you're not comfortable on. You can always spend a couple weekends in an empty parking lot somewhere to get acquainted with the bike.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Good advice. Thanks. I sat on a few the other day and quickly ruled out a couple suzukis, the Bolt and Raider but they didn't have an 1100. I will keep trying them out though until I find the right fit.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:07 PM

Garage
Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum.
07 gave you some great advice. I'm 5' 11" and weigh around 215lbs. My 950 tourer fits me fine. Nimble enough for around town trips, and comfortable on long trips. I've added some extra performance upgrades and with the Mustang seat, it's quite comfortable. As 07 suggested, go sit on several models and find one that fits your needs. Keep us updated on what you decide on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:11 AM

Garage
Welcome Kevin,

I have an 08 1100 Classic and it's my first bike. I agree that sitting on several is a great idea. Of course I didn't do that but I feel that it fits me really well. I'm 6'1" and 217 lbs. I will have owned it a year next month and I love it. Never thought about it being 'tame' but it's plenty for me. Only thing I recently added is a set of Cobra Speedster Slashdown Exhaust. Much better than original stock. Plus I know they can hear me now. It's a great bike I think you would like it too. Good luck.

mke

Last edited by mikearc095; 06-19-2016 at 08:23 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:20 AM

the custom and classic have different seats so try them both.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Welcome Kevin, from southwestern PA. I'm 5'4", 135 lbs., and I ride an 1100. Absolutely luv the bike, even though it makes me stretch for bars, which I am going to change to make more comfortable for me. It hauls me and the ole lady around with no sweat. But with your size, even the 1100 might feel a little tight without some mods to the controls. So I'm with the other guys in sayin that you should probly sit on a few before making any decisions. And like 07 said, just spend some time practicing till you get comfortable if ya get a bigger bike. That's what I did, as I hadn't ridden in like 24 years and the last bike was a CB750 Honda. So was a pretty big adjustment. But I feel like I can throw it around, put it anywhere I want it now. While it's moving. Pretty heavy for me to push around though. Just some things to consider. Good luck in yer decision.

Sonysnek
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 01:05 PM

Garage
Also 6 foot, and just a bit over 280. After taking the class, the 1100 was and still is my first bike. I did not find it too big, but I spent a long time riding backroads and two lane (one each way with a double yellow) roadways around central CT. Been riding for almost 6 years and have about 35K miles "in the seat".

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 01:08 PM

Garage
The V star 1300 is a great bike!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2285 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a new rider. Well, seriously new as in, I'm going to take a class soon to learn the ropes. I am set on getting a V Star. I love the looks and options to customize (and the price). However, I need some advice from some experienced riders. I am not a small guy at 6 foot 280lbs so I am curious about which I go with. I was looking hard at 650s but I am now thinking that it may not be enough bike and if it is, it wont be for long. Should I go with an 1100? Is this a terrible bike for me to learn on? I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.

Thanks
at 280 you'll out grow a 650 or 1100 in a couple months. id be thinking 950 or 1300 believe it or not the 950 pulls better than the 1100 it's a longer stroke engine

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode