XVS 650 Cruiser rear fender - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Smile XVS 650 Cruiser rear fender

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and i have only just bought my first XVS.
Been trying to find the right bike at the right price for a while and I found it last Friday, it's now sitting in my shed.
A 2001 XVS 650 having only traveled 26000 km and in very good condition.
However there is one thing I don't like about it and thats the rear fender, I guess you either love em or hate em, me I hate it.
My question is, will the rear fender off a XVS 650 Custom fit on my Cruiser without any modifications to the guard?
If not does anyone know what I will need to do?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:13 PM
KCW

Garage
Im pretty sure the custom fender will bolt onto the classic chrome frame pieces on the side and under the seat

but your turn signal and tail light will not fit. If you get a custom fender you have to get all that stuff, and you will need to shorten some of the wiring.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Hi KCW, thanks for the info.
It's the fitting of the fender to the frame and the chrome frame side pieces that is the most important part for me,
I can take bits off and put bits on but I'm pretty useless at modifications, you know drill holes only to find out I got it wrong by 1/2 inch.
I can get a custom fender with the turn signals and tail light as a package off ebay, the shortening on the wiring I can do.
I'm not too worried about colour as I'll get both fenders and the tank repainted anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 PM
KCW

Garage
maybe you can search this forum and see if anyone else has done the fender change from one to another, just to make sure it all bolts up.

I know vstar kept as much as possible the same on all three 650 versions of the bikes. Maybe google some photos of the classic and custom to make sure the bolt patterns look the same.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I have looked at photos of the classic and the custom, it's quite hard too tell,
I'll try searching the forum.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:34 PM
KCW

Garage
I poked around with the search function a bit because I remember this has come up before...

sorry to say it looks like the answer is no - the passenger seat is definately different, the drivers seat might be different, and the chrome frame extensions may not match up.

one 650 owner was talking about cutting the classic fender back, then you need the turn signals and stop light moved...

One thing that is nice about the shorter custom fender, on the classic you have to jack the bike WAY UP in the air to get the back wheel off, or take off the seats and fender.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again, cutting back the classic fender was my other option,
I know a man who can so I'll go see him see what he says.
Again with the electrics, not a hard fix just a bit of playing around, which I don't mind.
Cheers Trev.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode