New member from Mexico. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Jore.Mx
  • 2 Post By Jore.Mx
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 4 Post By Jore.Mx
  • 2 Post By NGM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

New member from Mexico.

Hi guys, My name's Jore I'm 28 and live in Mexico, I don't have a road star myself, but I do have a 1975 cb400f, I registered to help out a buddy with a road star that hasn't ran since september last year. I'll open another post describing all that's wrong with that bike, nice to meet you all!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Tried opening another thread but i couldn't, so I'll post it here.

I'm helping out a friend who was a 99 1600cc road star that hasn't ran since september last year. Personally I wouldn't have touched the bike even with a 30 foot pole, but the owner is one of my lifelong buddies, so I accepted. Anyway the bike has a ton of flaws, the dash lights don't work and the wiring is a mess.

According to my buddy this is what happened:
Theres a short in the voltage regulator wiring, which got fixed and also the battery was changed for a new one. Afterwards he was ridding the bike and it died suddenly, had someone give him a jump start because the bike wouldn't start again, but that in turn damaged the starter solenoid, the solenoid was changed out.

To me this is where all the story goes south, he told that he removed the valve covers to see if the valve where moving and one was frozen because the valve lifter had failed and according to him the other lifters where on their way out also. When removing the lifters the valve timing got changed "accidentally" but allegedly everything was setup back by aligning the T marks. The carb was cleaned out and during the cleaning the carb heater broke. It was also discovered that the tps was burned due to engine heat. The heads where removed to do further inspection and the valves where lapped with lapping compound. And finally there where some electrical gremlins in the ignition and fuse box.

I really don't know where to start with this thing, all the help is really appreciated.

BTW: My buddy is a ham fisted 300 pound gorilla.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:17 PM
KCW

Garage
Jore,

First I got to say you are one loyal friend, and dont ever let your buddy touch your CB400F. That is a classic Honda and I would love to have one.

I think the bike you are talking about has gone way beyond any help you can get over the internet. Usually if one thing stops working if you ask what the problem might be, and then go after it one step (fix) at a time, you can usually get it up and running again pretty quickly. A single problem or failure is easy to go after.

It sounds like this guy has torn into this bike willy-nilly and messed up a lot of things. Its going to take an experienced mechanic to first figure out what he did to it, and then to fix everything one by one.

If you do it all for him he will never learn. I afraid he has turned his motor cycle into a parts bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Jore,

First I got to say you are one loyal friend, and dont ever let your buddy touch your CB400F. That is a classic Honda and I would love to have one.

I think the bike you are talking about has gone way beyond any help you can get over the internet. Usually if one thing stops working if you ask what the problem might be, and then go after it one step (fix) at a time, you can usually get it up and running again pretty quickly. A single problem or failure is easy to go after.

It sounds like this guy has torn into this bike willy-nilly and messed up a lot of things. Its going to take an experienced mechanic to first figure out what he did to it, and then to fix everything one by one.

If you do it all for him he will never learn. I afraid he has turned his motor cycle into a parts bike.
The honda has been my project for the past 3 years, only I touch it. Well we've been friends for about 20 years now.

Any how, I'm also fearing the bike has gone the parts bike route, or at least a really bad basket case.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:31 PM

Garage
Hi Jore, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee.
I gotta agree with my fellow member KCW, I'm no mechanic but I'm sure your buddy has a parts bike now.
BTW, we'd love to see some pics of your CB400F. Have an old CB450four myself. Ride it safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:21 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome from N. Florida, as a service Mgr of a shop I would be recommending another bike. I would not touch this one either.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode